I thought AWA was doing good!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Realyman said:
Hopefully no furloughs, but it just seems like they are a year behind ATA. I will keep my fingers crossed for my friends there.
Didn't ATA cite overpriced aircraft leases as a factor? I think AWA has a better handle on that end of the business. I think their costs across the board are lower and they have a much different business model than ATA.

Also sometime next year WN's and anyone else's fuel hedges expire. As the fuel price playing field becomes somewhat level WN will raise fares. Unlike other carriers I think WN managment is smart enough to not sell widgets for less than manufacturing costs for an indefinite timeframe.

I think HP is well positioned and should do fine. One thing I am curious about is whether or not the Airbus delivery schedule will be scaled back or postponed. Ultimately this industry will be a lot different by 2006 or 2007. I think Parker and friends will get past this bump in the road just fine.

Wiskey Driver said:
JC, where you been man, I thought you fell off the planet???

WD.
Haven't fallen off the planet completely, only partially! Actually, just been hibernating/lurking. I've never been one to wave pompoms and whatnot, but reading your less-than-thoroughly-pessimistic posts on the great Cactus in the desert, you're great for my morale! Since you're on the dark side (I assume), our paths may not cross anytime soon, but when they do, I'm buying at Key Largo!

Cheers, my friend!

Dave Benjamin said:
Also sometime next year WN's and anyone else's fuel hedges expire. As the fuel price playing field becomes somewhat level WN will raise fares..
As far as I heard WN is hedged until 2008 (at least partially), so I would not bet on WN doing anything to their pricing. Fuel will only be a problem for the rest of us...

Guppiedriver said:
Cactus,

It's 22 planes through 2006, 12 new planes next year.

Huh???

You are correct. I don't know why I keep thinking they're all coming next year but they are through 2006.

We did change the delivery schedule a little bit too. We were supposed to get 5 leased Airbus' in January and now this has been changed to 4.

The delivery schedule for the rest of the year has not been changed and I doubt it will be as this was already a change from a previous order. We also received the funding to purchase these planes last summer so our current results should have little impact on the new Buses.

I watched the 3rd Q townhall and Kirby stated that our 1999 Mesa contract requires us to take 15 CRJ-900's next year too. He claimed that we don't want them but we have to take them. The 3-5% growth reported for next year in the media is for mainline only and doesn't include these 900's.

Cactus73 said:
We did change the delivery schedule a little bit too. We were supposed to get 5 leased Airbus' in January and now this has been changed to 4.
Personally, I think this may just be due to staffing levels. Right now we just barely have enough Airbus F/O's on reserve. Dump another five planes into the mix and we'd be short staffed just like earlier this year. Four seems a little more realistic for the people coming out of initial class in the next couple of months.

HAL

HAL said:
Personally, I think this may just be due to staffing levels. Right now we just barely have enough Airbus F/O's on reserve. Dump another five planes into the mix and we'd be short staffed just like earlier this year. Four seems a little more realistic for the people coming out of initial class in the next couple of months.

HAL

"Hello, schedulling? yeah uhh, I'm your new bitch."

JetMonkey said:
"Hello, schedulling? yeah uhh, I'm your new bitch."
Yah shure, ya betcha!

Lets see, in the last couple weeks I've had 12 days of reserve, and flown on 10 of them. Welcome to the great life of reserve JetMonkey! See ya in LAS.

HAL

Hal,

Was that you I saw bending over in front of crew scheduling yesterday? Come on man, at least make them beg. Party at my place over Thanksgiving if any of us are around. Carbheat is determined to kill me on a bike, and I can't keep Captain busy enough. Give me a call when you're around. What are you gonna do in Vegas? I'm picturing lot's of velvet, and a crying picture of Elvis (I have one if you need to borrow).

ps. Any other FNG's email me, and if I have a bash over Turkey day, you're invited.

Someone mentioned a hiring pool, well I was hired this week but not given a class date and was told I was in a pool and would start "sometime next year". Was told growth plans were scaled back and they are assessing their needs. I also wonder if the possible ATA deal is a factor. It's great to be on board and I'm very happy but at the same time I confess a little red light went on in the back of my head; should I be worried?

Latest resources

Back