I think I want out!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

erjguy

I did my flight training, I starved as a fight instructor, I starved as a first officer.... and I got furloughed. Now I am back starving as a flight instructor. Has anyone made the move out of the industry? I will probably still instruct when I have time, now I just need to find a good ole 9-5. Has anyone else made the leap? What kind of things were you qualified for and how do you enjoy things now? I have a college degree, unfortunately it's related to aviation. But hell, if you can get a decent job with a history or Latin degree, it has to be possible for me too. Any ideas, suggestions, remarks? I am a big boy I can take it.

erjguy said:
I did my flight training, I starved as a fight instructor, I starved as a first officer.... and I got furloughed. Now I am back starving as a flight instructor. Has anyone made the move out of the industry? I will probably still instruct when I have time, now I just need to find a good ole 9-5. Has anyone else made the leap? What kind of things were you qualified for and how do you enjoy things now? I have a college degree, unfortunately it's related to aviation. But hell, if you can get a decent job with a history or Latin degree, it has to be possible for me too. Any ideas, suggestions, remarks? I am a big boy I can take it.

Go fractional - try Avantair (P180s) for some fun flying. The money isn't bad either (check airlinepilotcentral.com). You need some variety and some fun flying again...

mamba20 said:
30k a year to start isnt bad? How do you figure?

I hear they have roughly a one-year upgrade - Captain pay is better. Just a suggestion. I see those guys all the time at TEB and VNY - they seem happy for the most part despite some growing pains... Check out Avantair...

Take it from me 9-5 sucks... I was at a regional for four years got on with Delta, 911 furloughed, worked as an accountant for three years. Came back to another regional in right seat of 1900, left before furlough flew 135 on demand and now am with a frac. Never have made a descent living flying but love the job and hated pushing a pencil around a desk.

GOOD LUCK!

tbkane said:
Take it from me 9-5 sucks... I was at a regional for four years got on with Delta, 911 furloughed, worked as an accountant for three years. Came back to another regional in right seat of 1900, left before furlough flew 135 on demand and now am with a frac. Never have made a descent living flying but love the job and hated pushing a pencil around a desk.

GOOD LUCK!

From what I hear, you'll be back at big D before long. I know alot of guys who are bypassing.

Did you read what he said?

BoilerUP said:
how much flight time do you have? there are plenty of other regionals hiring...

F*#King regionals....wow.....that is where I want to work....oh yeah what is the starting pay there....yeah that's what I thought 20k at a good one. I don't know if you guys have looked around, but there are people working in fast food restaurants making more than that. One day under paid pilots are going to wake up and walk off the job. If you think making 70k being a Captain for a regional airline is a good life, you are kidding yourself. Go get a job as a pipe fitter and you can probably double that pay and see your kids grow up.

We all better get a clue soon or we are going to be working for peanuts for the rest of our lives. The young kids coming into these regionals are destroying the industry and it is not their fault, but the fault of the guys who have been in this industry for the last 10-20 years. I can't even believe what I read in this thread...30k that's good money said one guy...puke.

GoFaster

Yes I read what he said...

Yeah I read what he said, did you,Mr. Holier-than-thou?

I did my flight training, I starved as a fight instructor, I starved as a first officer.... and I got furloughed. Now I am back starving as a flight instructor.

He's getting furloughed from Trans States, and that sucks. I asked him how much flight time he had because alot of regionals are hiring. Depending on how much time he has, he can get hired on everywhere from Mesa to CAL. Maybe he doesn't want to keep flying, or maybe he doesn't have any options, I dunno...

Most of the people that say "go do a trade" or "I can make twice as much money doing _____" are the same people that DON'T and ruin the atmosphere for everybody else.

If you don't like the industry, then quit - there are plenty of jobs available out there for somebody with a bachelors degree.

erjguy said:

You might want to try being a teacher. Can't beat the sked. They are in demand. All you need is a 4year and your cfi exp will help if you spin it the right way. Depending on where you are in the US they start between 30 and 40 K. My cousin graduated from Penn State last year and started teaching science last fall at a HS north of Philly PA and he makes what I'm making now, about 38,000/yr.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back