Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
M

mnalpha

here is what i know and saw, please remember this is just first hand some of these staements could/will be wrong. Please update with more info....

Flying into MSP today from OMA we where on the approach and had to do a couple s turns so the NWA dc-9 could get more space because of a hyd prob. Landed followed the dc-9 in. Looked out the left side of the AC and saw the dc-9 crash into airbus319, in the rain, peps doing the evac on the slides etc.. ensued. The story I got from the crew flying my flight said that the dc-9 lost hyd and got some resid press (enough to stop) continued to the gate, no brakes and hit the airbus. The airbus's wing went through the cockpit and spiled jet-a on the crew and there were broken ribs. Thats all I got. any more/better info/corrections to my post please apply. Hope those guys/gals are OK

Just so that I'm clear on this, the pilot had a hydraulic failure in-flight and continued to the gate after the landing?

Well, we'd need a lot more details to know how it happened. There are two independent hyd systems with no fluid interchange on the DC9 series ( unless the -50's are different...I think this was a -50 ? ) so the loss of one system doesn't result in the complete loss of steering or brakes. Can't speak for the -50's, but the -30's have a brake selector with L-BOTH-R positions. It's conceiveable that mismanangement of this selector could leave you with steering but without brakes...still very unlikely this happened.

The loss of one hyd system is not a big deal in the -9 like it is in other airplanes. If he'd lost both systems in flight ( very unlikely ), he'd not have been able to get off the runway.

It won't take 'em long to figure out what REALLY happened.

How many times must we tell the Pax to remain seated WITH their seatbelts on! You just never know.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jet-A spilled on the pilots? how bad of a chemical burn would they get from that?

cforst513 said:
Jet-A spilled on the pilots? how bad of a chemical burn would they get from that?

None, I've had jet-A spilled on me once while fueling my last week as a ramp rat. Made it through 7 months without a drop of fuel leaking onto me and with 3 days left, I got drenched!

V-STALL said:
How many times must we tell the Pax to remain seated WITH their seatbelts on! You just never know.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing! If anyone did "pop" their seatbelt early, they probably won't do that again......although I wouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

I can just imagine a businessman, cell phone in one hand, digging for his bag in the overhead bin then...whoa, uh oh...airbus!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back