I really need some advice.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I could add a little something to what SatPak said:

IF you have a college nickname such as "Maverick" or "Goose", you may want to lose it prior to graduation.

Failure to do so is likely to delay that first-date by several years. May also cause potential employers to laugh at you after you leave the room.

I'm so sick of these "party like I'm in the Animal House movie" dorks. Look, aspiring to be pilot person, just get your kicks when you're in high school. At least there you are a minor and you can get away with alot more. There is nothing more pathetic that trying to bang an 18 or 19 year old when you are a Junior or Senior in college. You should be MILF hunting in college... Again, chase young tail in high school and save your friend's mom for later!

Captain Morgan said:
I'm so sick of these "party like I'm in the Animal House movie" dorks. Look, aspiring to be pilot person, just get your kicks when you're in high school. At least there you are a minor and you can get away with alot more. There is nothing more pathetic that trying to bang an 18 or 19 year old when you are a Junior or Senior in college. You should be MILF hunting in college... Again, chase young tail in high school and save your friend's mom for later!

uh, you are obviously on a different program than I was my senior year

must be really pathetic now, 35 year old pilot trying to bang 19 year olds

:D

Last edited:
PilotOnTheRise said:
Should I try to focus on getting my ratings done first, begin instructing, and then try to finish my degree

A college degree will come in much more handy than a seniority number while you're on furlough.

'Nuf said!

The only response I made to this thread, after my original question was:

I understand that many say not to major in aviation. Currently, I am not majoring in aviation.

On the other hand, I've heard people say that a degree is a degree, and it usually doesn't matter what it is in. More than what it is in, it is used to show a possible employer that you can move from one level to another, i.e., high school to college, and work for and obtain a goal over an extended amount of time.

If you have a degree in aviation management, for example, although it may be focused on aviation, it is still a business degree. Does it afford absolutely NO possibility of employment outside of the industry? It would seem to me that it would, the same as someone with a regular business degree can get a job within the aviation industry. Maybe I'm wrong though..?

I don't understand where any of you are seeing that I am "fighting" with your opinions. I am reading them all, and taking them in. In my original question, I stated three scenarios to take, all of which involved getting a degree, and all of which involved flying. Each, however, was a different way of how to obtain them. All I was looking for were what you all did, and opinions on which is typically the best way. I never mentioned anything about NOT getting a degree, nor fought anybodies opinions.

I thank all of you who actually answered my questions, and did not attack me as if I did something wrong. I am tired of being treated like I did something wrong because I aspire to be a pilot, am asking questions, and am positive, and optimistic about the industry. It seems many of you cannot stand to see someone like that, as I've seen others treated the same way here. Many of you seem to make the assumption that people like myself, who are young aspiring pilots are the reason the airline industry is so bad right now. For some, that may be true, but not for me! I think the horrible attitudes some people have, however, plays a part in the problems with the industry. I don't need 5,000 hours or to have countless experience inside the industry to see that, as it applies to life in general. You either focus on the bad, and nothing more, and thus things become worse, or you try to take the good and bad, and make of it what you can.

For anybody who cares, I am getting a degree in something other than aviation. I will work on my ratings during the summers and other breaks, and finish whatever else I have to after I graduate. I will then instruct, and as I gain the time, send out some resumes to the airlines. I am doing it the 'old-fashioned' way, and am not doing any PFT crap.

No I do not support B777 captains making $40K/year, and I will NEVER vote for lower pay at any time, regardless of the airplane or airline. I am sickened at the industry right now myself and the fact that other young pilots are taking these pay cuts to simply fly the jets. I do not support G0JetFvcks, and wouldn't give them the time of day. I believe you can make a decent living as a pilot, it just takes time. Does this mean there aren't bumpy roads? No. I understand regional FO pay sucks, but note I said "it just takes time". Yes, flying is all I have ever wanted to do, and no I can't imagine doing anything else. Is there something wrong with this? I don't think so, plenty of people go into career fields, not having wanted to do anything else. I am not in it for glamour, money, or anything else. I simply LOVE flying.

When I say that you all should be thankful you have a job, this is what I mean. Plenty of peopel are complaining about the industry, and understandably so. But, some of these people complaining DO have jobs. You could easily NOT have a job, and thus I said 'be thankful you have a job'. Simple as that. If you find that wrong, than you are reading too much into it, or completely missing my point. My only point was, why you are complaining, realize things could be worse.

I am sorry some of you cannot see why anyone would want to be a pilot. I am sorry that many of you have been going through a rough time in the industry lately. It is not my fault, however, and I am simply looking to you all for motivation and advice, as I have nobody else in my family in the industry, and nobody else to turn to for questions about becoming a pilot. I understand and respect those of you who advise people like me to stay away from the industry, but doing it in a more respectful manner would be nice. I have NEVER been disrespectful to anybody on these boards, and although I may be inexperienced, and not have all of the knowledge, I still like to try to brighten the mood and bring some positive to some of the threads. Hence the reason I am often seen sticking up for situations when there is a lot of negative going on, whether it be about pay, the state of the industry, etc.
:)

what, this dude isn't even in college yet and he's a moderator? did i miss something here?

Well, I for one was born to fly, in whatever capacity... If I'm furloughed I'll find another flying job, be it flight instruction, traffic watch, corporate, etc. Life will go on. Now that I fly jets, I sometime long to get back in a Baron or Cessna. There are things to be enjoyed in every aspect of flying. What has been lost is that in the golden years, pilots were pilots. That is to say, they were pilots in the military then after. They enjoyed their profession and stuck with it. Today, pilots think that they have to have something on the side, and become a business man as well; forever chasing after that almighty dollar. Love what you do and stick to it!

you can put whatever you want in your profile, absent his "poor me" message above, pretty ballsy to put MODERATOR on your profile

I am almost in tears reading his post above

satpak77 said:
you can put whatever you want in your profile, absent his "poor me" message above, pretty ballsy to put MODERATOR on your profile

I am almost in tears reading his post above

Actually, I am a moderator. I recommended the "training" forum be created, and I was told if it were created I would have to moderate it. I didn't just put "moderator" in my profile.

My post above was not a "poor me". How was it poor me? All I did was ask for some advice. Please tell me what I did wrong? I don't understand where my asking for advice has led to you suddenly bashing me...?

Latest resources

Back