• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I-pod use on the flight deck

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
banning the AM radio, that's harsh. what do they expect you to use the ADF for now, navigation?? might as well pull em out and throw them away.

gotta keep up with the latest hits from radio disney somehow.
and how about midnight trucking, anyone ever listen to that? it's like an 18 wheeled version of the regionals, truckers call in to talk about the new drivers who went through an accelerated truck driving school and are willing to drive for less cents per mile just to get a job in a shiny new peterbilt.

and word is they'll haul 90 ft trailers for 50 ft pay!

Earbuds under headphones, ATC loud enough to hear over music--no problem.

Way better than those headsets that interupt music; very annoying.

After a while you get real good at multi tasking: listening to music, listening to ATC, doing paperwork, and getting the ATIS-it's possible.

Fast Cargo,

how do you get your laptop battery to last? When I flew "long-haul" cargo in the Metroliner (!), my laptop would never last through a full movie. That was irritating, having to wait to get to an FBO, or Hotel to finish it.

There's nothing like shooting an ILS with Petula Clark's "Downtown" in the back ground.
What, Sterile cockpit? I'm wearing my latex gloves!
icon26.gif

Laptop

Multi-tasking

I had a coworker who would design houses on the side. He would bring his laptop and work on house plans as we flew along. I would balance my check book.

Skyline

Yeah, if old guy tells me about the no music thing I will ask have you ever listened to the game on the ADF? Or listen to charlie chaplin on the adf?

I used to plug mine into the WSCOD all the time. You just need to make/buy a special cord. One end with the standard walkman type jack plug, the other with an aviation mike jack plug. Plug it into the jumpseater's audio panel and away you go. Works like a charm.

EB

starvingcfi said:
lol. as bad as they were, they were still AWESOME movies. you gotta admit.

my favorite was the c-150 racing the dirtbike. the 150 BARELY won.

lol

Don't forget rolling the Tommyhawk! I was at TPA Flying service the next day on a mission. :)

What you up to now brotha?!

MOCHA!

ha. i miss those hawks man. good times. flew one a year or so ago when i went back. i was f-cking scared to death. haven't been in one since.

dude things are good. in ny. upgrading next month. already flying left seat. just gotta hit simuflite for upgrade, then i should be good. loving it dude.

how's buffalo treating you man? we fly over all the time. i always look down and think 'i wonder what the f-ck phil's doing?'

if we ever get there for an overnight i'll let you know. :beer:

Traumahawk said:
Don't forget rolling the Tommyhawk! I was at TPA Flying service the next day on a mission. :)
MOCHA!

Seriously? Which one? I don't want to have to scan through the whole bunch to see a rolled Tomahawk!!

Just plug in...

ACT700 said:
Fast Cargo,

how do you get your laptop battery to last? When I flew "long-haul" cargo in the Metroliner (!), my laptop would never last through a full movie. That was irritating, having to wait to get to an FBO, or Hotel to finish it.

My laptop uses a Pentium M processor, not the P4, so I can get about 2 1/2 hours if turn the brightness down to minimum, turn off the external LCD lights (I have a Dell XPS Gen 2), and close all background apps. If I watch a movie, that drops to just under 2 hours. Full up gaming, I'll get slightly over an hour. However, most times I simply plug into the aircraft power supply. I have an adapter that allows me to plug into the 'circle blade' outlets on DC-10s.

For those who are wondering about plugging in a laptop, your main concern is that the transformer can handle the voltage (most modern ones now go from 100-240V) and the outlet can handle the wattage (DC-10 outlets can handle 1000 watts, so that's not an issue). Hertz (freqs) isn't an issue for solid state devices, at least not by the research I've done. Things that use motors on the other hand...

FastCargo

FastCargo said:
Hertz (freqs) isn't an issue for solid state devices, at least not by the research I've done. Things that use motors on the other hand...
FastCargo

Yeah, I freak people out all the time on the rare occasion I have to plug in my cell phone on the RJ. They ask, "won't the 400Hz blow it up?" No, the transformer-rectifier in the brick plug turns it into DC at whatever voltage your laptop/phone/ipod... takes.

The diodes in the rectifier don't care what phase or frequency the AC is on the input, they still dump out DC on the other side. In fact, the higher the frequency and the more the phases, the cleaner the DC is on the other side!

When I used to lecture on the vibrator/exciter in the Seminole's Jantrol heater, all the girls used to perk up in class ;)

Latest resources

Back