I need to get a Radar Fixed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kingair1181

I am involved with a Weather Modification Program out in West Texas but I have hit a snag. We have an old radar that we use here which is either a
WR100-2 C Band or WSR-74-C model. Our problem is that the radar has not been used in a while and we also discovered a large sledge hammer attached to a counterweight arm. I have been having a difficult time tracking down a maintaince tech who could come out to look at the radar and give it a thumbs up or do some work on it.

I am fairly sure the radar is in decent shape, but it just worries me that a large sledge hammer has been ducked tape to a counterbalance arm.... worried that if we turn it on the sledge hammer is either required because the balance got off or that if we turn it on with the hammer attached that it will strip the gears. So basically just wanted to get a tech. out to look at it.

Any help or leads anyone can give me is apperciated.

You will have to take it to a shop or have a shop send it off to be fixed properly. Be prepared to spend some duckets.

have you tried contacting the NWS or NSSL offices in Norman, OK? They've had extensive experience with one or both of those, I'm sure, and could maybe point you in the right direction. I agree that the maintainance is gonna cost you some serious cash, though, on a unit that old, IF you can even find parts.

I'm not familiar with your unit but the shop at Hobby (Raytheon) has been doing excellent work for many years.

Dennis Kronenberger, Avionics Sales Manager, 713.567.5050

Last edited:
I doubt an avionics shop can handle this job. The radar he's talking about is not an aircraft radar, it's a ground based unit. The WSR-74-C's were pretty much the mainstay weather radar all over the country for a good while. I dont know when they started using them, but I think most of them were decomissioned from NWS use in the early to mid 90's.

You have to love it when you find a sledgehammer atached to the insides. The previous tech must have REALLY known his stuff! :)

Hung

Found a company who can send a tech out to check it out but it would cost us not only airfare, hotel, car rental, ect, but also a $1500 fee per day (2 day min.) plus whatever equipment they might need to fix it.... so probably at least a $5000 job. Just trying to find something cheaper now....

I'd say go ahead and use it, as long as the hammer is on there securely. It was probably added because someone thought the rotating assembly was dish-heavy. I used to work a little with the WSR-74C, but I can't remember any issues with balance. I do remember that the rotation motor tended to overheat when we ran it at 3 RPM. It was much happier at 1 1/2 RPM.

Hillbilly-style maintenance and repair was common with those old radar sets. Most of the mechanicals are simple, and you don't need a trained tech to repair them. The only time you'll need someone who knows what they're doing is when there's a problem with the magnetron, R/T switch, etc.

agpilot34 said:
I doubt an avionics shop can handle this job. The radar he's talking about is not an aircraft radar, it's a ground based unit.
That'd be some funny stuff there - removing the radome on your shiny jet and find a sledgehammer lodged in on one side of your weather radar. :eek:

Latest resources

Back