I Need Help You Guys!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotChapin

I need some advice from you experienced guys who might have been through this already. I am a young pilot with a wife and a baby on the way and no current full time job. I've only done a few contract flights in a Lear Jet.
I have a couple of options but I am not sure which one would be the best.
Like many of you my fellow pilots I am not seeking a job to fly a new shinny jet for peanuts, altough like many of you I am working on getting my 1000 turbine PIC. My wife is currently working making over 40K a year, but the baby is due in december so she is going to stop working in october which mean I have to take full income responsability. But as many of you know 2500TT pilots arent to lucky at making enough money to support the family. Anyways, I have a couple of offers

#1 Stay in the DFW area and Fly freight in an Aerostar on weekdays, and fly some contract in a Lear on the weekends for $300 per day. But as many of you know contract flying is not a sure thing, I might fly on a weekend and i might not. There is a small possibility of full time employment with the contract deal but as always they promise and they usually dont come through.

#2 Relocate to Mobile AL, fly captain in citation 1 for 28K a year and a 2 year training contract. Insurance and all. This is for a 135 ops.

#3 Accept a job with PINNACLE AIR SERVICES in springdale arkansa in the right seat of a Lear 31 making 35K a year, good benefits, relocate to NW arkansa. But I have a couple of friends that got fired from there and I've heard that they have a 100% turn over.

Hey guys any input is greatly appreciated, I really dont know what to do. Like I said many of you guys have already been through a dilema like this. So I figured I get some advice as to what I should do. Thanks you guys

PilotChapin said:
#2 Relocate to Mobile AL, fly captain in citation 1 for 28K a year and a 2 year training contract. Insurance and all. This is for a 135 ops.

28k for Captain on a jet? Don't even consider it. If they double it, then consider...but not until then. There are words for people flying airplanes like that for that little money....it's a word often associated with women that sleep around.

28K ... OUCH! I make just under that sitting right seat in a Lear and I though I was doing bad. Course I only worked 3 days this month and no overnights. I couldn't even imagine only getting 28K to be PIC on a 310 much less a Citation. That place should be run out of town for that.

FracCapt said:
28k for Captain on a jet? Don't even consider it. If they double it, then consider...but not until then. There are words for people flying airplanes like that for that little money....it's a word often associated with women that sleep around.
I would interview for that job, just to get in there so that some time during the interview I could get up and start tipping office furniture around. What's up with that crap? I turned down a $25,000 dollar a year job right seating in a new 560XL to fly Caravans for the feeders and didn't look back...screw that noise. $28K a year to fly a jet as a captain...neeyah, puhlease!

Do you really want to relocate and leave a pregnant wife behind? I'm sure you want to be there when Jr is born, right? Do you want to move the wife and cause her to loose a $40,000. a year job? Do you have $1500. - $2000. spare dollars to make a move? Do you want to maintain a second residence that takes a large portion of your income?

Sometimes it just does'nt make sense to spend a dollar to make a dime.

Bryan D said:
Do you really want to relocate and leave a pregnant wife behind? I'm sure you want to be there when Jr is born, right? Do you want to move the wife and cause her to loose a $40,000. a year job? Do you have $1500. - $2000. spare dollars to make a move? Do you want to maintain a second residence that takes a large portion of your income?

Sometimes it just does'nt make sense to spend a dollar to make a dime.

I agree, that's my biggest problem right now, is that I know that if I relocate I have to leave my wife back for atleast 1 to 2 months. I dont feel to good about that. Someone just shoot me or remind me why I wanted to be a pilot LOL

PilotChapin said:
#1 Stay in the DFW area and Fly freight in an Aerostar on weekdays, and fly some contract in a Lear on the weekends for $300 per day. But as many of you know contract flying is not a sure thing, I might fly on a weekend and i might not. There is a small possibility of full time employment with the contract deal but as always they promise and they usually dont come through.

keep a positive outlook, enjoy your newborn, and keep job hunting in DFW. a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I agree. keep looking in the DFW area and if necessary do something on the side like I used to do when I was lear contract pilot. Remember you will have plenty of days at Fl370 away from home and very few days with a newborn and a needy wife.

saludos

Latest resources

Back