• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I lost my hero

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My sincerest condolences. I love my father so much, he is my hero. I honestly don't know if I could handle it if I lost him now. I hope he's got at least a good 20 years left in him. My father has nothing to do with aviation, but he is the finest man I know. In terms of character and respect, he has no equal as far as I'm concerned. He's never flown, never even thought about it, but I'm hoping I get to teach him how to fly after he retires this year.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to call him right now.

Thanks for all the replies. My brother and his wife just got to Houston, that helps. He is sittin' here watching me type this.

Dad left many memories. They one thing that actually stuck was when he told me that one day he would get real smart and time would go by much faster. It was up to me to figure out where the change had taken place.

I only flew with Dad one time in a 152. He was never single rated in his life. He over controlled and wouldn't go slower than 80kts on final. He said it just felt to slow.

My brother just said some good Dadisms. "If you want something done, give it to someone who is busy." "If you want something done right, don't let the government do it."

Again, thanks for all the replies. We may have our differences on the boards sometimes. What is important is family and friends.

Blue skies and tailwinds. 265

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great guy.

Aviation is a small world and I am sure he touched many lives who remember him even if they can't remember his name. You know that FED that was in the jumpseat last month/year type of thing. I sure he loved what he did and tried to make the world a little better place for those he met in his travels.

When my father passed away I gathered his tool boxes and made sure my brothers and his grand children each had some of his favorate tools to remember him by. My Dad worked with his hands all of his life but the last years of his life he was not able to so the tools were rusty and not in working order. I cleaned them up and make sure they were ready to be used before I gave them to the family. Maybe something like this will be of some help to you and your family.

JAFI

Dad's rule!

Your Dad was very special!

I interviewed with the FAA twice and both times I was hired, but declined. The interview process scared me as evey question wanted to know how I would react when I was "busting someone" in some form or another. When asked why I wanted to work for the FAA, I stated "to show that the FAA is a good organization and we needed to show the reasons why". The interview pool looked at me dumbfounded. That told me I was in the wrong place.

Your Dad was unique in the fact that "you were not guilty untill proven inocent". That is the same message I tried to instill but that is really not the case with the current FAA. Bravo to your Dad for being strong and fair. We need more individuals like him in the FAA.

I lost my Dad in 1988 and it was devistating. I still think of him today as if he was still here. Maybe he is! Your Dad will allways be with you no mater where you are. You will find yourself (after making a mistake) going "I know Dad, that was stupid"! Good luck to you and your family!

God Speed!

I'm sorry for your loss. But now your focus is on Your boy's.To your boys, Just try to be at least half the man your father was, and in their eyes you will be twice the man your father was to you. Kinda like your dad plus you equals your boys. Make your old man proud my friend, he'll be with you everyday watchin over ya...

Sorry about your loss. Your father sounds like he was a great person! Treasure that you got to be there when he passed. Make sure you tell these wonderful stories to your children to keep his memory alive.

I know how difficult it is, as I lost my mom when I was only 14, and I was not there. I still miss her, but I keep memories of her, including her portrait, on my dresser. My mother was a private pilot, a "99", and ran the Kachina Doll Air Rally for several years in PHX. She was diagnosed with cancer in 1975 that had grown to a large tumor in her face. The radiation caused her to lose sight in her right eye.

She kept her medical and flew close to the end of her life. In fact, her crowning achievement was winning the Kachina Doll Air Rally - blind in one eye. She was a fighter, and that is the memory I take with me, and tell my children.

Thanks for sharing with us and may he rest in peace.

Kathy

na265 said:
I miss him so bad, today is worse than yesterday.
Robert

My condolences also,

I know what you're talking about. The first day, I went back to work, within a couple of hours after sitting at my fathers side with the rest of our family, as he passed on, at the hospital. My dad had a knee operation a few days earlier & then complications thanks to an improper medication. It really wasn't his time.

The second day, it sunk in, and that's all I thought about. I'd say that I thought about it daily for about two years, which even made me somewhat moody, then the thoughts just seem to fade.

I now visit the cemetary often, as my mother has passed away too, but now it's just part of life, and I don't think about it much. Happily, we adjust over time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back