I just bought a 20% stake in Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
0.78 now.

It’s just like it was around 96-97 when we lost the United contract the first time. We were also in jeopardy of loosing the America West contract out of Phoenix. Some said we were two to three months away from shutting the doors. The investors got nervous and showed Larry Risley the door and brought in JO.

This time it looks as bad if not worse.

I’m going home and crack some beers in tribute to 13 years of my life that I’ll never get back.

Total market cap down to $21 million, a third of what it was three weeks ago. Much lower and the stock may get delisted. I doubt there is much chance they could raise the $37 million they need to pay the note through a stock sale ( who would buy it?) and I doubt further that creditors would be willing to accept stock in lieu of cash given the circumstances.

Before long creditor and vendors may cut them off and then they would be toast.

The question becomes who could take up the flying on short notice? I may buy some ExpressJet sock.

Please tell us you didn't work there for 13 years...

Here's the thing that no one here wants to hear.

For those who were at Mesa 10+ years ago, the place actually improved on an annual basis pretty regularly, especially when you consider how seniority affected your pay, schedules, etc.

Believe it or not, some pilots are plenty happy to make $80k/yr flying an RJ and being a big fish in a small pond. And why not? That's a comfortable wage well out of reach of most DUAL income American families.

Sad part is, the place really started going down the toilet about 3-4 years ago as management just SQUEEZED. Most started to bail.
  • But some held on and thought they'd fight it out in the next contract.
  • Some just couldn't afford the $50-$60k paycut a move would make.
  • Some couldn't get hired at majors, and who the hell wants to go to another regional after 10+ years at Mesa?
  • Some overextended themselves speculating on real estate .. and CAN'T take any paycut whatsoever.
So 13 year Mesa-pilot . . . I feel your pain. Good luck in the coming storm.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back