Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nosewheel

I dreamed of an airline pilot's career.

In it was the FAA, crew scheduling, bad schedules, bad management, unserviceable aircraft equipment, changing weather, no extra holding fuel, ever-changing procedures, endless flight manual revisions, dead heading in the middle seat, broken and lost luggage, nasty passenger agents, crabby 65+ year old 170 lb. flight attendants that were 4 axe-handle wide, all-nighters, foreign countries, sleep deprivation, mergers, seniority squabbles, company threats, food poisoning, no food, bad coffee, bidding, pulled away from my family for weeks at a time, fleabag hotels, late cabs and maniac cab drivers, bidding vacation, waiting for gates, weather, low visibility approaches, aircraft de-icing, PCs, Gestapo FAA and company check air man, medicals, commuting to and from work in unspeakable weather, the parking lot from Hell, parking lot buses, inter-terminal busses, spring break, Christmas rush, Easter rush, PA "PC" announcements, insurance, unscheduled drug and alcohol testing, noise violations, customs lineups, dry cleaning, terrorism, security passes, rude security personnel, high gas/oil prices, pay cuts, pensions reduced/eliminated, rush hour traffic, that infernal alarm clock, crash pads, catching cold away from home, lackadaisical crew members, sexual harassment threats, flight attendants and co-pilots implying that they are a gift to aviation after being there a year, back biting, gossip, cell phones, aircraft cram courses, plus laying my job on the line several times a year with simulators, quick access data recorders to spy on pilot procedures, endless procedural memorization and Annual Recurrent Training days.

Then I woke up and joyously found myself still retired! Whew!!!

Wasn't that a Johnny Cash song?

Reminds me of the old joke:

What is the difference between a pilot and a jet engine?

At the end of a flight, the engine stops whining......

OK...I didn't write this. I just found it and thought I would share. That's all. So you don't have to flame me...even though most of it's TRUE !!! lol I thought it would be a nice change from the "Don't become an Airline Pilot" thread.

Last edited:
Sad thing is that its 100% true, even sadder is that I wouldn't trade it for another job!!!:beer:

Seriously, flying corporate you can take many of those away, but then have to add a few others. ie. 24 hr on-call, 3 am wake-ups for an immediate departure, long a$$ days-day after day after day, wannabe rich company employees that think they own the plane when they fly, aircraft clean up duty before-during-after flights, did I mention on-call 24/7, road shows that take you to every city in the US in 7-10 days, airport appreciation time (plenty of it), fuel planning to save company a few bucks, Signature, FBO's that resemble out houses, overnights in East Bumble F@CK, lack of partying (on call), etc. Add as you wish. But again, I do thoroughly enjoy my job quite a bit.

You guys have it nailed!

You can add to the list:

- Hour and a half ride to the lowest cost hotel the company can find

- bugs and rats at the low cost hotel

- low cost hotel food service closed because health dept. fines

- hotels near the airport that tell you "don't go outside, it is not safe"

- room near ice machine, elevator, wedding party, hotel during college spring break

- eating processed "food" from a coin operated machine as breakfast, lunch, and dinner

- airline execs that say "you don't have the big picture" as they file for bankrupcy and deploy their Golden parachute.... (now I see their "big picture")

- stand up overnights spent in the airport lobby

God, I'm glad I left.....

Is that all you got ????

Latest resources

Back