Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

La Rue

Yeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!

Oh man I’m on cloud nine… uh, no better make that around cloud 12 or so!

Just returned from Texas and I got a corporate job flying for an Investment firm/ venture capital group, they operate a pair of Lear 60’s at present and have a piece of a EJA G-IV.

Man its gonna be a great job! But I must confess and thank someone publicly, my father! For if it were not for him, I would have never had a chance, he hand carried my resume to the CEO himself. My father’s law firm has done loads of legal work for this company and he is on a first name basis with darn near everyone on the board!

Proof solid, its not what you know its who you know in the corporate world, although I do consider myself a great pilot. :)

THANKS DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Now on to the job morsels! They fly worldwide; they currently have 9 full timers and average 15 days a month, (about 50 to 60 hours average but 70 to 80 flight hours are not uncommon according to the Chief Pilot because the owners believe in face to face business contacts). They reposition a good bit via the airlines and average 5 to 7 RON’s per month. Pay is above industry standards, with company 401K and optional stock plans, full health and dental as well as the ability to schedule hard time off with as little as 5 days notice. They do require an 18-month contract, but I don’t care! This may very well become a long term home for me! They are going to help me relocate with $2,500.00 moving assistance and have offered to place me in a hotel for up to two weeks until I can secure an apartment.

The company has the backing for some very big guns in the business arena and the Chief Pilot has been with the same man, flying privately for him at first then moving into his current position for nearly 30 year!

They are in the process of fleet upgrading, they have a written policy to replace aircraft every 10 years at maximum and they reevaluate their equipment needs every 5 years. They train only through Flight Safety and Simuflite Int’l and recurrent is on a bi yearly basis even though they are part 91.

According to the guys I talked to I’m leaping aboard at a wonderful time. The two Lear 60’s are being replaced within 12 to 24 months and the fleet will be expanding to meet the mission requirements of a schedule that is roughly 50% domestic 50% International. One is up for sale at present and the company has a firm delivery slot on a Citation X and will take delivery late this summer. The other Lear, is scheduled to be sold once they can determine if they want to buy another Citation X, or replace it with a smaller jet such as an Excel for some of the company’s shorter hops. On the long haul front, the company will keep the share of the G-IV for trip augmentation and emergencies and will be buying its own long haul jet as soon as they can locate one they like. They are looking at a used G-IV or G-V or maybe even a Global Express if one can be found for a good price and other jets are being considered as well but they have ruled out a BBJ as being just too much jet for them physically.

I’m outta my current job effective immediately and myself and the other guy who was hired along with me will b jumping into company ground school Monday! They will type us on the Lear as soon as possible, because some of the countries they fly to require that both pilots be typed. So I guess over the next 12 to 24 months I’ll be flying at least two different types of jets and getting my hands on some really cool toys to boot!

To everyone out there still looking, man keep your chin up, network and make as may contacts as you can and don’t give up!

I’m living proof you will succeed!

I’m off to pack, turn in my keys and make a run for the border, well the Texas border at least. See you gents later!

James

I am happy for anyone who can land a good job like that. However it upsets me that this is how companies staff their flight line.

Just curious, did you apply for that job? If not, then you cannot blame the company for selecting the best APPLICANT they felt was qualified for the position.

Like the Lottery people say, "You can't win if you don't play" !

Nice work, enjoy!

Have a great time, study hard and you will love flying jets. Don't let that other negative guy get you down. Sounds like a great place. Good luck!

Congratulations! It's always been my observation that the bigger more advanced the airplane, the easier it is to fly. Have fun!

La Rue:

Nice going La Rue! Congratulations! It sounds like you are off on a great adventure. I still remember my first jet job. My face hurt from smiling for about a year.

Good luck!!

Congrats on the job!

You have to be as excited I have ever heard someone be over a flying job! good for you!

Just an idea -- if your dad pulled strings to get you the job you may just want to keep that to yourself once you get there!! others may have worked much harder to get there....just an idea....you will have lots less to prove, right??

About the negative post from the guy with 17 million hours in lears who walked to school 45 miles uphill in blizzards and then landed in 125kt xwinds and sleet on icy runways at KMDW after a 72 hour run around the world picking up freight and organs, single pilot .......
NEVERMIND THIS GUY!! Learjets are NOT hard to fly, just know thier limitations and stay sharp. Remember, Its just an airplane!!! Guys who hang out in Learjets for too many years think they are the best thing in the world...they can be a strange breed...Its a good plane to learn in, get some experience, and MOVE on to the bigger stuff where the real fun is!

Congrats on the new job!
Have fun.

La Rue,

Congrads and good for you. However, if I got an opportunity like that, I probably wouldn't mention it on an open mike like this, even though I would be just as happy about it as you. AND! I certainly wouldn't turn it down because some pissed off guy with 17 million hours in Lears thinks its unfair.

Enjoy it my man!

I've had friends and/or family help me get every job I ever had, starting with my uncle's store when I was 16.

There's no such thing as a "self-made man," folks. We all owe our careers to somebody's help, somewhere down the line.

Have fun at the new job!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kinds words and encouragement, even you dj2000 I do appreciate what you in so many words are saying.

Just returned from saying bye to my current now former employer and he was to say the least happy for me, even though I was not able to give him any appreciable notice I could work out.

But, as he said, I’m not the first person who had to leave for another job with no notice and he’s sure I won’t be his last either.

I’ve got the books the company gave me on the Lear 60 and I’m going to be reading into the wee hours of the morning. Then I’ve got to go and pilfer (Ermmmm, I mean appropriate) some boxes from the local Publix to pack up all my trash to move.

Again, guys thanks for the kind words.

James
:cool:

Congratulations La Rue and welcome to the Corporate World... I think you will love it!

The Lear is a great first jet.... makes everything else feel easy to fly...

Again, congrats!

Falcon Capt.

Latest resources

Back