Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gas Man

I fly RJ's!
After flying airplanes for 20 years, professionally for 10 of those years, I've been kicked to the curb and am out of a job at the worst possible time.
I had flown for the same outfit for 7 years and then decided to follow an opportunity over in Europe. Six months later this credit crunch hits, the global economy goes to pot and I'm sitting here wondering what the hell I'm going to do, other that playing the would of, could of, should of game like a broken record.
Being that I quit my job in the U.S. to fly as an independant contractor in Europe, I don't even know if I can get unemployment benefits. It's been five weeks and they are "still making a decision".
If it wasn't or the little detail of having zero income right now, I would actually enjoy a break from aviation.
F*ck it. Cosco has cases Alaskan Amber on sale. I'll be back and when I return, I want to see some other horror stories!

Being that I quit my job in the U.S. to fly as an independant contractor in Europe, I don't even know if I can get unemployment benefits. It's been five weeks and they are "still making a decision".
If it wasn't or the little detail of having zero income right now, I would actually enjoy a break from aviation.
F*ck it. Cosco has cases Alaskan Amber on sale. I'll be back and when I return, I want to see some other horror stories!

Good luck with that one. I had moved from Florida to Minnesota with a job offer back in '05. I was to be flying freight and charters for a small 135 carrier. A few days after I had moved 1700 miles, prior to begining my training, their cheif pilot informed me that they had "lost their freight contacts" and I wouldn't be needed. The state of FL denied my unemployment claim, and the company refused to pay any moving expenses. FL denied my claim as I had voluntarily left my previous position. I was left out to dry, unemployed in a strange city. I had to take a couple non-flying jobs in the interim, but things eventually panned out in a few months. Keep your chin up.

Good luck with that one. I had moved from Florida to Minnesota with a job offer back in '05. I was to be flying freight and charters for a small 135 carrier. A few days after I had moved 1700 miles, prior to begining my training, their cheif pilot informed me that they had "lost their freight contacts" and I wouldn't be needed. The state of FL denied my unemployment claim, and the company refused to pay any moving expenses. FL denied my claim as I had voluntarily left my previous position. I was left out to dry, unemployed in a strange city. I had to take a couple non-flying jobs in the interim, but things eventually panned out in a few months. Keep your chin up.

FL unemployment benefits suck. I appealed my denial and the magistrate just ripped into me. He had no clue how airlines operate.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear your about your situation. I am affraid it will be many more than you in the near future. This is one of the main reasons I have decided to stay on MLOA. My absence may keep another employed and I can take care of my familly at the same time.

Good luck to you and all the others that fall into this mess. But as others have stated, you will come out for the better and hopefully, more prepared for the future.

Tim

Latest resources

Back