• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hypothetic question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I love pilots and their "what if...?" questions. I hear it almost every day at work.

Sometimes after some really off the wall "what if's" I like to respond with "what if a giant asteroid hits the planet and a giant tidal wave takes out your destination and you have an FAA observer on board and you have a sick passenger and you're min fuel and every airport is 1/4SM because of the big dust cloud from the asteroid and, and, and...."

What is it with you guys and "what if" scenarios?

I'm sure some smart a$$ is going to respond with an answer to all of of this sarcasm. I fully expect it here.

Wait a minute... I just saw the error of my last post that some pinhead would pick apart:

Why would there be a dust cloud if the asteroid hit the ocean and created a tidal wave?

My favorite thread right now...

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in opposite direction).

The question is:

Will the plane take off or not? Will it be able to run up and take off?

WHO F*CKING CARES? THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY IS FALLING APART AND THERE'S 500+ POSTS/40 PAGES DEBATING THIS USELESS SUBJECT.

Last edited:
Do you really think that an earthquake would cause an updraft? Yes, there can be the sensation of up and down movement/vibration if you are in contact with the ground (have experienced a few quakes; usually either rolling/wave-like or vertical sensation), but I don't think that would be the same as a summer thermal, which involves rising air, not moving ground.

You might have to check you jepps for revisions after an earthquake, maybe reset your clock...

Earthquake 'redraws the map'

The devastating earthquake that struck the Indian Ocean probably caused some islands to move by several metres.
The massive thrust of the tectonic plates may have heaved the Indian Ocean floor towards Indonesia by about 15m (50ft), seismologists think.
The movement is likely to have altered the geography of islands like Sumatra. The force of the earthquake was probably also so great that it made the Earth wobble on its axis and cut our day length by fractions of a second.

srjorion said:
As a student you do not know better, but your instructor is a DORK! He should be teaching you flying not landing during tectonic plate movement.

Run now! This instructor is a DORK! There are some things you simply cannot plan for, and an earthquake at the exact time of landing is one of them. RUN!!!!!!

P.S. Does this guy wear a flight suit and helmet during preflight?

He wasn't teaching it to me. It just sort of randomly came up. I guess maybe earlier that day i was in rush hour in a bridge and a tractor trailor blew by me and the thing shook. That's what brought the question up. I was just curious... that's all. He didn't bring anything like that up at all.

Alin10123 said:
He wasn't teaching it to me. It just sort of randomly came up. I guess maybe earlier that day i was in rush hour in a bridge and a tractor trailor blew by me and the thing shook. That's what brought the question up. I was just curious... that's all. He didn't bring anything like that up at all.
All joking aside, I can understand the curiosity, especially being a "doomsday" movie fan.

There's nothing wrong with asking, "What if?"

You probably wouldn't even connect it with an earthquake. I was sitting in my truck once at a stoplight when I lived in AK when an earthquake happened. It took a couple of seconds to figure out what it was, and it was only because they were common enough that I knew what it was. In an airplane, at touchdown, I don't think your first thought would be of an earthquake, I'd think it was more like a flat spot on the tire, or a crosswing or something. Another time I was in the pattern at Merrill when an earthquake happened. It was a slow night and the guys in the tower said something about it, up in the cab they definetly noticed it. It could happen though...http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/03nov/05.htm

Go down to the Alaska Highway paragraph about the middle of the page

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back