Hypertension

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aubrey770

My BP has been increasing slightly during the last few year. I knew that I should be doing something about it but never did. I had a Class 1 last month and just barely squeeked by because of BP. I have started a diet, walking for exercise, and visited my primay care doctor. The doctor put me on Caduet for the BP and cholesterol.
I know I will need to report this to the FAA.

My question is, do I need to follow the FAA protocol and have the additional testing done prior to reporting? My reading of the regs is that is thier requirement if diagnosed with hypertension. Like in failing to pass a physical. Mine is more of a preventive measure.

I did talk to my AME about this, but I am not very clear on what he is requesting. I really don't want to give the FAA any more info than is required.

Thanks,
Aubrey

My BP has been increasing slightly during the last few year. I knew that I should be doing something about it but never did. I had a Class 1 last month and just barely squeeked by because of BP. I have started a diet, walking for exercise, and visited my primay care doctor. The doctor put me on Caduet for the BP and cholesterol.
I know I will need to report this to the FAA.

My question is, do I need to follow the FAA protocol and have the additional testing done prior to reporting? My reading of the regs is that is thier requirement if diagnosed with hypertension. Like in failing to pass a physical. Mine is more of a preventive measure.

I did talk to my AME about this, but I am not very clear on what he is requesting. I really don't want to give the FAA any more info than is required.

Thanks,
Aubrey

I would follow the FAA's protocol. This includes your personal and family history; comments from the treating physician about any adverse effects of the medicine you are taking; some blood pressure readings after you start the medicine; laboratory testing for lipid profile, glucose, electolytes, etc.; resting EKG. AOPA is an excellent source on this information.
I was diagnosed with hypertension 6 years ago, and I have not had any trouble being certified for a class 1 medical, and my blood pressure is very much controlled.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back