Humanitarian Airlift

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LJDRVR

I've really enjoyed my career so far, and been fortunate enough to have been exposed to a variety of international/over-water operations. I want to give something to people in terms of being to help improve people's quality of life through use of my aviation skills.

That having been said, I am attempting to educate myself on civilian humanitarian airlift and exactly how that works. Anybody on the board here have any experience with UN/Red Cross or any other humanitarian airlift? Drop me a line, I'd like to pick your brain.

I've been involved with Angel Flight for the past few years. It has been a great opportunity to help people connect with their needed treatment centers/needs.

It's also a great way to give meaning to your flights. I've met some great people, who are going through the toughest struggles of their lives, and I do get some inspiration from them.

Here's their website: http://www.angelflight.org/

They are pretty well organized and are always looking for pilots.

Clear skies.

Greg

LJDRVR--You might want to check on pprune.org. They are the international version of this board. I'm sure someone on there has done the type of flying you are looking at.

Also try AvCanada.ca same deal. Those crazy Cannucks are all over the world! Good luck.TC

Thanks to everyone for the info so far!

Seethru: Excellent organization. I did a little volunteer work for Airlifeline when I was stationed near Sacremento.

AA717driver: Thanks for the advice. I've tried PPRUNE before, I tend not to get any responses over there. ("Facist yankee" with less than 2,000 posts.) Sorry things aren't looking good tonight for your candidate.

Pullmyfinger: Airserv looks interesting, but I'm looking for something to do ad-hoc while currently employed. (This country has an excess of grain, an excess of pilots and an excess of 3-6,000 NM range aircraft with cargo doors, I'm researching ways to put these things together and maybe feed some people in the offing.)

Keep the responses coming!

LJDRVR,

If you come up with something, let us know, I would certainly be interested in helping out.

lrjt, if you can get your hands on an aircraft, and money for fuel and other expenses you can fly a lot of that grain to Haiti, Jamaica, Grenada, Grand Cayman. All victims of hurricane Ivan and except for the last one not much in the way of relief has gone there yet. No housing (not even tents), no running water, no electricity, no food (crops are destroyed), no money.

LJDRVR:

Unless you have great benefits with your carrier, it will be difficult for you to do something "ad hoc."

A little background: Most humanitarian aviation operators break down into two areas, NPOs and NGOs.

NPOs, or Non-Profit Organizations operate at minimal cost to the passenger/charterer, so don't plan on getting paid much. Also, most NPO avaition organizations are para-church or missionary aviation oriented. Most require donor support for your pay, i.e., you may have to raise it. All want a significant commitment from you operationally and spiritually. I don't know where are on that issue, but here are a few links:

1. Mission Aviation Fellowship- http://www.maf.org. MAF is the world's largest missionary aviation organization.

2. JAARS - http://www.jaars.org/aviation04/avia_home.shtml. Jaars (Jungle Aviation And Radio Service) is a transportation division Wycliffe Bible Translators. Their name is self explanatory.

3. AIM-Air - http://www.aimair.org - Christian relief and development/Missionary Aviation organization located in Nairobi, Kenya. A division of Africa Inland Mission, Int'l. Africa's oldest missionary organization.

4. Samaritan's Purse - http://www.samaritanspurse.org - Operated by Franklin Graham, Billy Graham's son. Relief and development, world wide. AIM-AIR and SP work together in East and Central Africa.

NGO's

Most noted is the UN. They have several branches like UNICEF, UN World Food Program, etc. I belief they contract with operators all over the world who have their own "121" or "135" operations. Perhaps some other guys on this forum who have flown for the UN could comment. I think the UN does have it's own aviation department. Doesn't sound like you could volunteer there.

AIR Serve: http://www.airserve.org - Arguably the most popular humanitarian aviation operation in the world. They train you and they pay you.

Anyway, my point again is, I don't believe they will let you just come in and fly their aircraft without some kind of commitment (time-contract, etc.)

Angel flights are great if you want to do something state-side. Other than that, for what you are talking about, I can't think of much more.

Oh, I flew for NPO #3 for a total of three years (not at one time)on the African Continent. Some of the most rewarding experiences I HAVE EVER HAD came during those years. And the flying was spectacular.

T8

Folks, again thank you all very much for the information.

Trainer8- Sounds interesting. what I'm envisioning is a CONUS based Large-aricraft NPO that provides ad hoc humanitarian charter airlift, along with it's own grain procurement and delivery mechanism. I'm not looking to make a living or any money at all, I'd just like to fly some trips on my days off. (I used to fly a lot of air ambulance and organ transplant work as a 135 guy, I miss that feeling of satifaction.)

Before I look at aircraft types, I need to educate myself on several issues
  • Where is the grain now?
  • How do we get it?
  • Where does it need to go?
  • Who do we give it to?
The aviation part of it is simple. I've got several options I'm looking at. Choosing a specific one wil be easier once the logistics and fund raising portions are defined.

Dizel8. How ironic that a "Doug" pilot would be interested. Thanks for the offer. I'll drop you a PM.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back