http://www.aerotech.net/

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don:
Just did my CFI over there. Very good school - a fleet of new airplanes(2 with G1000), good instructors, and very busy. How they stay so busy in Kentucky, I don't know, but 4 days after I did my CFI, I did a discovery flight. No I don't work there, but that was a sort of baptism by fire. Any other questions just let me know.

Louie

Did Jim Melton quit?

I worked for AT in LEX for three summers, the last two flight instructing. I stayed fairly busy when I was there; the KY Aviation Museum does a TON of flying in the summer with Kids Camps. Most students are either high school kids or business professionals. Most if not all planes bigger than the 152s are leasebacks. I have no idea how CFIs survive with the typical Kentucky winter...

Charlie and Arlynn were good to me and I enjoyed my time there...but CFI pay is criminal considering what they charge (and I was a Prog Check instructor!) and Arlynn wouldn't be flexibile giving me some time off I needed (even though I already ensured proper instructor & checkairman coverage) so I quit.

I repo'd a 182 so it could get washed and forgot to turn the master off, and YES, I had to wear it...but only for the rest of the day. It was pretty humiliating, but more than that it almost cost the company revenue. I was more worried about it than the bosses were. No, its not an epidemic, at least it wasn't when I was there. But after 30+ years you see it happen a time or two...

I've read alot of Arlynn's articles and she has some excellent points about new CFIs, especially those from pilot mills. She definately hates the timebuilding mentality (but understands when people move on). The only problem is she doesn't pay like she wants people that have a passion for teaching...and passion doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table. I saw some pretty weak people interview in my time there (including the gal from a FL pilot factory in an article about a year ago - she was AWFUL), but for somebody thats been out of the PPL Gleim for a while the written test is kinda tough.

All in all, it was a good opportunity and experience for me (flew my butt off in the summers) but I was glad to have moved on after the summer of 2004.

BoilerUP said:
I saw some pretty weak people interview in my time there (including the gal from a FL pilot factory in an article about a year ago - she was AWFUL), but for somebody thats been out of the PPL Gleim for a while the written test is kinda tough.

I remember that article well. That girl got torn up! I have always wondered what school she came from. I remember the article saying that the girl's excuse was that she was trained to be a first officer so her expertise did not match what the school was looking for.
What school did she train at? DO TELL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back