HR Question???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TIMP

I was wondering how an average airline Captian would react if he had the controls taken from him by an FO for something like getting too slow on an approach, etc. As a PIC and SIC I've never had to do such a thing.

I would be interested in hearing from both Captains and FO's. Also, at what point would you take the controls if you were the FO?

Timp

TIMP-
I would have to say that "if" safety is ever compromised on the flightdeck whether it be a severe mistake by the captain or first officer that should be irrelevant and whoever made the blunder should only be allowed to take it to a certain point before the other pilot not flying will take over the aircraft and hopefully avoid a potential disaster... I have never had to do such a thing nor do I think I will ever be faced with this very unique situation due to the fact that every 121 and 135 operation has rules set in stone relating to when the aircraft MUST be "stabilized" on the approach segment and when the aircraft must GO missed and discontinue the approach, so with that being said their are many safety checks and balances that are put into place in the 121 and 135 envirorment. I know we have many safety checks in our specs as well as our SOP's.-

The bottom line is that if ever your life is threatened by another crew member then do whatever it would take to ensure a safe and positive outcome. ( common sense ehhhh..)

so with that being said I would use "common sense" to illustrate that IF (doubt will ever happen) I ever felt like I was going to die or get seriously injured because of the other crew member then it is MY airplane right then and there (no questions asked)......

gotta Luv these questions minus the common sense aspect-

C H E E R S

3 5 0
anymore HR q's?- l o l

Rules

There are general rules leading up to the event of taking over the airplane, like the two warning rule, two calls no response or correction, I've go the airplane.

American-Little Rock
Avianca-Long Island
United(?)-Portland
KLM/Pan Am-Tenerife

Just a couple of examples where crew memebers were along for the ride. I bet they said it would never happen to them too.

Any instance where you guys (First officer) have taken control from the captain???
don't have to name the airline, just the situation will be enough....

:p ;) :D

There are ways to "take control" without physically fighting the pilot flying for the aircraft.

For example, during an unstabilized, out of parameters approach, the pilot not flying should make deviation call outs as per normal operations of the company. Then make it clear, "I feel uncomfortable continuing this approach, we should go missed." If the pilot flying displays an "I'm continuing no matter what" attitude, the pilot not flying may want to annouce a missed approach to the tower. At this point the pilot flying will go missed...

Just like the drunk pilot question. Obviously the drunk pilot is physically incapable of flying the airplane. That is close enough to "physically ill" to fit my definition. Tell the drunk to call in sick, or you'll call in sick (from concern over your license). Either way you have taken control of a situation without harming anyone's ego, or career.

It would not seem wise to physically take control of the aircraft, other than to apply the brakes if there is an instant threat of collision, or incursion.

During every flight, both pilots are responsible for ensuring clear communication. The best flight decks are managed with mutual respect.

It is appropriate to be matter of fact & directly communicate in the cockpit. It is never appropriate, or helpful, to get angry when flying.

And remember when the other pilot notices something you have overlooked - or is helpful with something you would not have caught - the response is "Thank You."

I've never had to take control of an aircraft, or vice - versa. Most folks want to fly the best they can and are willing to gladly accept constructive comments.

I also agree with the tactfull approach. Anger in the cockpit and fighting over the controls are not good situations.

Anyone out there who had to take the controls from a Captain?

Timp

Latest resources

Back