HP Grads...Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr Hat

Headin down to HP on April 4th....My friend and I are going back and fourth on which sim would be better for our situation, the -200 or the -300. I have heard good things about both. The -200, you've been training for it all along and it saves you from having to do the -300 differences training that may keep you a day longer (Both of us have newborns and our wives are going to be going nutz by the time we get home!! An extra day might get us both killed. ;) There's nothing like well executed planning to avoid screaming in the middle of the night. )

HOWEVER, Both of us are Captains on the E145, all glass, very automated with a slick auto-pilot. I think that the -300 would fly more like what we are used to with the more advanced autopilot. Might be worth the extra time in differences just to make the checkride easier. Granted I used to fly the BE1900 its been a long time.
What did you grads think?

There are not very many 200s left out there. There are far more 300s, and if you are thinking of an airline career most arilines that have 737s have 300s or newer. Not all 300 have glass, but they are out there. I would stick to the 300, IMHO.

I was considering doing the -200 because of time issues (-200 schedule is normally done on the Saturday vs. Sunday), but chose the -300. In retrospect, I'm glad I did the -300. The autopilot and flight director are much easier in the -300.

The best part about choosing the -300 is that the differences course comes AFTER your oral exam is complete. So you get all these new numbers, but you're not going to have to regurgitate any of that info in an oral, so it's actually kind of refreshing to "learn for fun" again after the ground school is complete.

The K+S 737-200 sim has a -300 autopilot panel. Who cares what model you get the type in. The type says B-737, no matter if you obtain it in a -200, -300, or -800. Your going to forget most of the 737 stuff by the time you get into a Southwest class anyway. Just my measly $.02.

dude, don't think twice, get there and bid for the -300, you will be glad you did.
this has nothing to do with what you remember or who hires you, just pick the -300.
the -300 isn't a day longer, you do the differences the afternoon of your oral. the numbers are not that big of an issue, you don't have to do another oral.

they give you another binder with the differences-200 on one side of the page and right next to that is the -300 stuff. no worries.

The staff are awesome, it is a good time!
Hafa,

Guam

Last edited:
I was just there, I fly the 145 and did the 300. I heard a lot of complaints about the 200 autopilot, I think I heard the sim also broke down a few times. I was on a flight home Sunday night.

I had the same concerns as you, coming from 5yrs of CRJ glass, the thought of the -200 made me ask the exact same questions you raised.

I chose the 300, pretty much for the automation, and am glad I did.

For me, the afternoon of differences training was well worth the extra level of comfort I got from the -300's automation.

Also, if you DO decide to go -300, and have transportation, think about doing the sims at SWA (HPA rents sim time from them)

A glimpse of the promised land if you will, and you never know who you might meet in the break room.

let me dead honest... either way you will do just fine. you will pass in either and both will prepare you for flying a 737, at SWA or anywhere. however the autopilot system in the -200 is VERY different from what you fly and the -300 is far closer. try to get the -300 and the "extra" 4 hours of differences will actually be teaching you stuff (ie. the autopilot) that you already understand far better than whatever you grasped about the -200 in the ground school class.

I agree with a previous...what smells like a type and looks like a type on paper, do whatever is required to get your rating. When I went through HPA, it was a matter of timing. -200s were being phased out and -300s were being emphasized, but some of us had to do -200s. Dont sweat the small stuff. SWA doesnt see the dash whatever. Besides, I am about to enter the 6 April training class and I have forgotten most of what I learned from HPA...other than it was an excellent course. Go for the -300s if you can, but (I am told) you will get all of the -300, 500, 700, 800 during training.

best of luck.

Sounds like I should be trying for the -300. I think we will. I know SWA doesn't care about what kind of 737 you tested on as long as you have the type...I'm just looking for a little extra comfort if I can have it. (I'm bringing my rubber duckie as well) I'm sure the -200 will be just fine too if I end up in it but the more familiar I am with the sim, the more I can relax and just cruise. Give me a VS descent please...

Thanks for the input y'all

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back