HP buys two new Gulfstream Vs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boomhauer

A QUICK QUIZ. What does a company bleeding red ink in the cutthroat PC industry do with spare cash that it nets from laying off its employees and outsourcing the jobs to India?*

Answer: HP goes shopping! Yes, HP, that computing once-giant that appears to be busily shedding its staff as fast as the new 9500 series can print out pink slips in vividly color matched shades is on a shopping spree. And what's HP buying? Executoys of course.

Any busy executive can't be seen flying around on commercial airlines, heaven forbid. If coach was good enough for Bill Gates for a few decades, you have to one up Microsoft by having your own planes, and good ones at that. In this club, you can't be seen tooling around in a plane from last century, after all, that poor old Gulfstream that Carly flew to NYC for a rendezvous with Jerry Sanders in a swanky hotel is so 1999! No, we mean it, it was only a 1999 model.

So, in the spend your way out of a recession theory of trickle down economics, HP has decided to buy 2 $30 million Gulfstream V jets , and they were just registered in June and July. Don't believe me? Go here, click on make/model, and enter 'gulfstream' and 'G-V' in the boxes. When the next box comes up, click the 'California' link, and scroll down past Steve Jobs, to just below the company that brought you the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and you will see the two HP entries.

Just think. When Jobs calls Carly, she can retort "but we have 2, you only have one!" When Mikey Dell calls and says in a snide way "we are actually making money on our PCs", she can snappily reply "But I have a better plane than you!" Oooh, those whacky multi-millionaire corporate tycoon types and their games.

The planes do however beg the question of how many $10/hour workers need to be laid off to cover the cost of these extravagances. You would think that in a down year, or possibly a down century so far for HP, that the top echelon could make do with a mere four year old plane. I would wager about 2500-3000 jobs need to go on semi-permanent Indian vacation per plane.

Those jobs should be covered by the first round of post merger layoffs, but there are still dark clouds on the horizon. Our moles claims that there are three more of these babies on order for HP, which means another 10K jobs will need to be flushed to pay for them. If you work for HP, brace yourself. Use both sides of every piece of paper, and feel good that your executives can wing overhead in such a nice plane. Would you have it any other way?

"buy 2 $30 million Gulfstream V jets "

$30million for a G V sounds like a bargain to me ...

2 G-V's, 3 on order. Wow! They're gonna be just like 3M...without the profitibility.

Sorry, Boomhauer, but the concept of the corporate barge has already been refuted. Corporate aviation has been proven to be a very cost effective method of transportation.

Your class envy is just plain wrong.

Have you ever heard of "no plane, no gain"? It was a NBAA promotional program that did a very good job of showing how corporations with corporate aircraft outperformed business with no aircraft. If you don't know, Wal-Mart (aka, China-Mart) the worlds largest company, has an extensive fleet of corporate airplanes, I doubt that they are just corporate perks. Matter of fact, I know that their fleet is very well utilized.

regards,
enigma

Boomhauer,

I personally think its the vast right wing conspiracy again.

:(

While I would not debate the cost effectiveness of many corporate flight departments, I think there is a lot of room to debate the acquisition of certain aircraft for the needs of certain companies or even the effectiveness of aircraft for some companies at all. There is no doubt that "image", back room deals and the "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" can play a significant part in acquiring certain aircraft over others. My brother is an accountant for a Fortune 500 company. You should talk to him.

The NBAA endorsing the need for corporate aviation... duh! I remember years ago when the bicycle helmet makers got some consumer safety commission to lobby just about every state and local legislator for the need to pass bicycle helmet laws...For the Children!

Anyway, corporate aviation is a great thing for a lot of companies, but like anything else in life, sometimes things just don't add up.

Flame Away!

Enigma, Falcon Capt…

This is an article I found on another board.

I posted this for public consumption; this is a public board, right?

I posted no comments with this story because I had none to go with it; I was going to let the board members take this one where they wanted to.

Amazing how some can jump to such conclusions based on so little, you two somehow have, based on this one post pegged me for some anti-corporate bigot when neither of you probably know how I make my living.

Regards gents

Hey Boomhauer,

Just where in the hell do they build Gulfstreams?

Who will get those creampuff jobs to build those jets?

Sorry to mess up your perfectly good point by making sense.

Latest resources

Back