Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jarhead

master of my domain
With airline pilots being force to retire at age 60, and their pension plans being put at risk, how are you all going to make it? Many now must wait until 67 for full social security benefits, and it's always been 65 for medicare.

Below is an article from todays papers of Alan Greenspan's warning. Social Security benfits must be scaled back, and medicare benefits need also be cut back. Greenspan also wants to advance the retirement age for SS beyond where it is already. Easy solution: Make Social Security and Medicare available only to those people who reach 90 years of age. That will balance the actuarial books (tic)

Read all about it:

Last update: August 27, 2004 at 9:31 AM
Greenspan warns of big trouble unless Boomers' Medicare, Social Security benefits trimmed
Associated Press
August 27, 2004 GREENSPAN0828
JACKSON, Wyo. -- Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said Friday that the country will face ``abrupt and painful'' choices if Congress does not move quickly to trim the Social Security and Medicare benefits that have been promised to the baby boom generation.

Returning to a politically explosive issue that he has addressed a number of times this year, Greenspan said that it was wrong for the government to hold out the promise of more retirement benefits than it is capable of providing.

He said this issue was particularly critical given the impending retirement of 77 million baby boomers born in the two decades after World War II.

``As a nation, we owe it to our retirees to promise only the benefits that can be delivered,'' Greenspan said in opening remarks to a two-day conference sponsored by the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City on the challenges posed by aging populations.

``If we have promised more than our economy has the ability to deliver, as I fear we may have, we must recalibrate our public programs so that pending retirees have time to adjust through other channels,'' Greenspan said. ``If we delay, the adjustments could be abrupt and painful.''

Greenspan, as he has done previously, suggested that possible changes would be raising the retirement age to receive full Social Security benefits, which currently is gradually increasing from 65 to 67.

Greenspan, who is 78 and was recently confirmed for a fifth term as Fed chairman, has been a proponent of raising the retirement age ever since he was chairman of a commission that recommended a number of changes to rescue Social Security from impending insolvency two decades ago.

In his remarks, Greenspan said that the projected doubling of the U.S. population over the age of 65 by 2035 would add to the government's budget deficit woes.

But he said it was important to be careful in how those deficits were addressed. He said that relying entirely on an increase in the payroll tax on workers to deal with the funding shortfall in Social Security and Medicare would make it more costly for employers to hire workers.

Greenspan said policymakers must consider all the economic impacts that changes in the government's two biggest benefit programs would entail such as the effect on retirement decisions, the size of the labor force and the saving behavior of Americans.

Greenspan acknowledged that any decisions to trim benefits or boost payroll taxes could be difficult politically, but he said those decisions must be made and made quickly to give baby boomers time to adjust.

``Though the challenges of prospective increasingly stark choices for the United States seem great, the necessary adjustments will likely be smaller than those required in most other developing countries,'' he said, noting that Europe and Japan will have a much higher proportion of retirees to current workers in coming years.

Greenspan has repeatedly this year addressed the looming crisis in Social Security and Medicare, a development that the presidential candidates have chosen to virtually ignore given the painful choices that will likely be presented to the next president.

Last edited:
When my pension was terminated I knew that the ability to retire at age 60 had evaporated with it. Not that I was relying on the pension, but it would have been enough combined with other investments to go out at 60 and not have to worry. Now I am of the mindset that I will have to work at least until age 65. Before anyone gets all bent out of shape about the age 60 rule, I'm not suggesting that it be changed. My idea of work over the age of 60 was to be a corporate pilot, ferry aircraft, or instruct.

Typhoonpilot

You're a fool if you don't have your own retirement planning, it's a fact of life nowadays. The Dem's always want someone else to do the work for them and then won't take responsibility for ther actions or lack thereof (and when it doesn't pan out like they hoped it would they can start pointing fingers).

Yeah, like all the folks at Enron being encouraged by Ken Lay to put the max into Enron stock for their 401(k) savings for retirement. They must have all been lazy democrats, right?

No, they made poor investment decisions possibly influenced by an inflated desire for extrodianry short-term gains. There were plenty of other solid investment options availble in the Enron 401k. The only money that they had to keep in Enron stock was the company contributions.

LJ-ABX said:
No, they made poor investment decisions possibly influenced by an inflated desire for extrodianry short-term gains. There were plenty of other solid investment options availble in the Enron 401k. The only money that they had to keep in Enron stock was the company contributions.

So they were not all lazy democrats? Or were they? Were they possibly greedy Republicans? Please tell me.

Last edited:
Not to be a sour puss or anything like that, but why didn't some of these high pay airline pilots save some of the big bucks they were recieving when things were good.

The more money I make the more money I save so I dont have to rely on anyone else for my retirement. You can always set up IRA's and other investments.

By golly Bandit, I think you may be onto something there. Worked for me anyway. But it was a forced issue in my case, as my company had no retirement plan at all, but we all had a share in the profits. Pretty good incentive to make the company successful.

I was either smart enough, or lucky enough, to have invested wisely. In any event, I made my nest egg, and just hope I can hang onto it in the current environment.

Latest resources

Back