How would You Manage An Airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

geardown

This is a question for those of you with Legitamate Airline Experience.

If you were say , for arguments sake , offered and accepted a VP position of Flight Operations (just a name) for an airline (regional or major) and your job requirements included manageing , pilots, flight attendents, ground personel, and gate personel.

This is a hypothetical situation but how would you manage and integrate these people in order to make a viable and customer focused airline?

-Pay can be discussed but assume industry average.
-Benefits= what is important, necessary, and not required
-As a manager how would a particular style work well (and with each group)?

I am just a line pilot, and am board and drunk, please excuse this post if it is stupid but I think the airlines can be run better than they are, and the frontline employees see on a daily basis where the idiocy and deficencies are.

So what do you think?
I'm going to bed now but I really would like to hear your views.

I'd spend at least several days out on the line talking with employees and asking questions. I would avoid the brown nosing managment types as best I could I would ask the average ramper, flight attendant, pilot, mechanic, etc. what they think could be done to improve the place. I would ride on several of my airlines flights making it blatantly clear that the operation was to run 'as is'...no special favors. (example..I saw catering come on board with a mop last time my company pres. rode on us). In summary, I would try to get the pulse of the operation first hand..not sugar coating through some company hack. I would do as best I could to 'earn' my employees respect and trust..not 'demand' it. That would be just the start.
(lol..I have been drinking too...I must be to think any manager would do the above things)

Last edited:
I'd do exactly what they do now.

1) Pay lip service to caring about my employees
2) Run the airline into the ground
3) Collect my big severence check
4) Ride off into a Carribean sunset.

Sorry, I'm just a bored, sadly sober, line pilot who spends way too much time on FlightInfo and I'm filling my quota of at least one "wiseass post that contributes nothing to the thread" per day. I'm about 300 posts ahead of schedule right now.

And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.....

Last edited:
geardown said:
If you were say , for arguments sake , offered and accepted a VP position of Flight Operations (just a name) for an airline (regional or major) and your job requirements included manageing , pilots, flight attendents, ground personel, and gate personel.

I've had a similar job offered in the distant past. Turned it down cold because there's just too much stuff that you have little or no control over regardless of how well you attempt to do your job. Without proper maintenence, adequate crew and ground staffing and up to date and reliable equipment, flight managers spend their whole careers putting out little fires on a daily basis. Who needs it?

Latest resources

Back