Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyprdu

You Want This, Don't You.
All you pilots out there that have gone before...

Here's a question. How tough is it for a sponsored candidate to get picked up?
My board is coming up in March and I'd like to know from some pilots, instead of hearing rosey sunshine from my recruiter.

Thanks.

As long as you have decent qualifications, you should have nothing to worry about. Sponsorship is huge. I heard some folks got turned down this last board, but it was because their unit(s) sent 5 people to the board. Ask your sponsoring unit about their track record, they should be able to give you the straight poop.

I was told it was prett much automatic as long as you hadn't killed anyone (recently)

My stuff met the board last september, and I was asking the same question then. I was also sponsored by a reserve unit. The squardron commander told me that sponsorship helps a huge deal, but there is always a chance they will deny you. It depends on whether the unit has the money to put you through training, or if they've put more people up to the board than they have the money to train with. Also, your package does play a little bit of a role in the decision.

good luck

Can anyone explain what sponsorship does for you? As I understand it, you present a package to a specific ANG/Reserve unit and its presented to a board and they decied who they want to send to UPT?

A "sponsorship" is merely a recommendation from your wing to AFRC. It's the Reserve Command board that really makes the decision about who goes and who doesn't. Sponsorship is just a bunch of nice things that the chief pilot (or whomever) puts on your form and submits it with your package to the Board that meets semi-annually.

That's my take on it at least.

For the Guard, it is a little different. Once they offer a slot its yours vs. Reserve sponsorship in which you have to compete with a bunch of other people that got sponsored. I was offered a sponsorship from one Reserve unit but then got offered a slot with a Guard unit. I took the Guard one because it is a done deal. Of course ghosts can crawl out of the closet but that happens either way ie: medical, etc... I did not want to pass up a sure slot and take a chance going up against a board. I was not worried about not getting it but why risk it. They flew the same A/c so it was a matter of location. Good luck either way you cant go wrong.

I take it you are a Purdue student or recent grad...I might have some info that could be helpful for ya (recently selected for Guard though, not Reserves). PM if interested (even if not a Purdue grad;))

Latest resources

Back