How to prepare for new hire class?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

freightrash

I got invited to new hire class at CHQ. Do you think it's good Idea to pay for web studey guide of Emb145 before I go to the class? or just wait and start over there? help me guys! ^^ Also what should I bring to the class?

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Don't go buying any online study guide. You'll have plenty of stuff to look at that you get GRATIS (Free) from them. It won't do you any good anyways. And I'm sure there will be a ..ahem..pirated Flight Safety E145 guide floating around. I've only heard of that though.

As far as what to bring...Don't know what you mean. But a razor and some clean underwear is a good start.

I disagree with SennaP1. I flew for 2 different regionals (E145 and CRJ) and found training to be a piece of cake both time because I took a little time prior to ground school to learn the systems and the flows/callouts. Granted I did not understand everything I studied before I got there but when it was presented in training, it made sense quicker. I think it releived some of the stress and freed up time during training so I did not have to study 24/7. And that being said, you just have to figure out how you best learn new material. For me it is to get a jump on the info and for Senna, it is learn it when they give it to you. Just my .02. By the way, I quit flying regional recently...did not like the lifestyle (read wasted time and low pay)

Don't buy anything. In my class two guys showed up knowing all about the EMB-145, everthing that CoEx wanted them to know. So they had a hard time unlearning some of the stuff.

As for what to bring if you are driving to IND then to STL, like I did, bring a microwave and a small fridge. It will save you a ton of money by not eating out every day for lunch and dinner, or if you do eat out you can save some leftovers for lunch the next day. Bring clothes, and stuff like that. Highlighters, markers, pens, note cards and that kind of stuff are all optional but nice to have.

Just another thought.... Don't over do it. Once you burn out, even though you're reading the material, nothing is going in. TSA is supposed to have the toughest traing cycle out there. I studied hard during the weekdays and on the weekends, I didn't touch any of it.

You have got to pace yourself. And don't over think stuff. Whatever they tell you to do or know, don't question it, just do it. Makes life much easier on you. I watched guys like that bust out of a few different airlines.

Last edited:
Here let me help a little, GREEN=Good, RED=Bad, Thats about all you need to get started. Tarzan has the best stake on it so re-read his post and remember to RELAX. Build time into you schedule to "break-away" from airplane stuff. During all the initals I have been to taking a littel "down time" has helped me the most. Get back from class, drop the books, go for a jog, or get a workout in, have some dinner and then get back to studying.

PS I wouldnt spent a cent on pre-purchasing study materials for a specific aircraft.If you are new to flight levels, RVSM, high density apt ops, etc. Spend a little time reviewing the communications, airport markings and ATC sections of the AIM.

Last edited:
I got invited to new hire class at CHQ. Do you think it's good Idea to pay for web studey guide of Emb145 before I go to the class? or just wait and start over there? help me guys! ^^ Also what should I bring to the class?

Here is a guide for 121 newhires (major/commuter/regional/LCC or whatever)

In terms of preping yourself for 121 training I'd suggest reading "The Turbine Pilots Flight Manual". This will give you general overall knowledge of just about any turbine aircraft systems, let the instructors at your airline teach you the specifics of your aircraft.

If you know the aircraft your assigned get someone from THAT AIRLINE on THAT AIRCRAFT to send/email/fax you the limitations. Make some flashcards and go to town. If you don't know anyone there ask the HR person that gave you your class date if you could get incontact with the training dept and see if they will fwd you the limitations.

A good silid knowledge on general turbine aircraft systems and the limitation will put you well ahead of the rest of the class - no need to rack your brain doing any more.

Other than what is suggested above I'd suggest just picking up a book (any book(s) on anything your interested in) and do some reading. This will get you mind into an academic "gathering infomation" mode. You could also do something like xword puzzles or the new number puzzle crap (seems like every other crewmember is doing that these days) - again the goal is to get your mind into gathering/retaining infomation mode that you will edd to be in for the next several weeks or month.

Next - What to bring?

This can be seperated into two catigories, what to bring for class and what to pack interms of clothes and other general stuff.

Unless your driving to class you'll need to pack everything into a roller bag and flight bag. The good thing is going to class the flight bag will be almost empty.

Lets start with what to bring for class. Class being indoc/systems and maybe papertrainer/flows. This will last about a month give or take a week.

Flight Bag - go to staples or office max and get the $40 ballistic nylon case (the one made by Heritage is replaceable for life thru Heritage) . This is all you'll need at this stage. Wait a year or untill capt upgrade to get the Scott.

In that case put:

2 notebooks
5 or 6 folders
stack of flashcards
pens/pencils
highlighter
small simple calculator
stack of post-it notes (to mark pages in manuals or just to leave notes)

Thats it people - all you need to get you thru indoc/systems. It's not rocket science - you don't need any protractors, sectionals, jepps, e6b's, holding pattern calculators (if i was your instructor and you showed up with one of thoes I'd smack you silly with it) or computers.

See how empty your case is going to class? It won't be on that return trip. You may actually want to toss in a simple duffle bag or backpack to carry any extra manuals home that don't fit into the case (the manual(s) they give you that you don't need in your flight bag online)

Now let talk about what to bring to wear that will get you thru the week.

First go get the standart travel pro / purdy neat or what ever rollerbag you decide.

First - toiletries, bring these, you will be sharing a room and in class all day - read close to others - take a shower atleast once a day. I'm not going to tell you what exactly to bring interms of toiletries because if you can't figure this out then you shouldn't be flying aircraft. However the standard hetero male should be able to fit what he needs in the standard toiletry bag. Put this in you rollerbag.

Second you base layers: 7 t-shirts, 7 pairs boxers/boxer briefs or if you must your tighty whities and seven pair of soxs.

Third Pants - 3 pair docker type or dress paint, kaki, navy blue and grey should cove the general "airline training environment" color spectrum. Get the wrinkle free ones because guess what newhire, you stuck in the hotel and on Saturday or Sun you'll be doing wash.

forth - 1 pair jeans or short if you care (to wear to dinner in the evening or wekends)

Fith - 3 to 5 shirts. I do 2 Izod types and 3 button downs. Again the usual bizz casual style and shades of red, blue, green and grey colors will assure you don't stand out like a social misfit. Toss in a tie if you care for day one and traveling to from training.

six - workout clothes, shorts/pants and t-shirt/sweatshirt. And remember nothing says "el dorko" in the hotel gym like a muscle shirt - unless your wearing a t-shirt on under it.

don't forget the sneakers

Now take one pair underware, one t-shirt, one pants, one shirt, one socks and your dress/bizz casual dress shoes and belt. Put them aside to wear out to training and or the first day of class.

take the remaining items listed in "second" thru sneakers above and put them into the roller bag along with the toiletry bag.

Toss in the cell phone, charger and Ipod. I'd also recommend a good book or magazine for when you need a brake from airplane stuff. I'd highly recommend leaving the laptop home. There should be a hotel computer to check email but i'd leave the laptop home or you may find yourself waisting valuable study time surfing the net. Plus if your the only one with the laptop everyone will want to check their email further distracting you from studies. Its also one more thing to carry and worry about. Take the cell and use the hotel/company computer keep intouch at home and chech email. Leave the laptop home, you'll have plenty of time to surf boobs galore dot com while on reserve in a crashpad to sitting in a hotel while flying the line.

Latest resources

Back