Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CMI

folgers from a tube sock
I wanted to get some ideas of how some of you pack for longer rotations on the road (10-15 days).

Do you bring five pairs of everything, and then wash clothes twice?

Can you fit everything into a 22" carryon bag? (Company policy).

How many uniform shirts?

Do you bring stuff that can be washed in the hotel sink?

Cotton vs. Synthetic?

*Moderator*

Please do not move this to another section. A lot of 135 companies are now requiring longer rotations. This is very relevant to this section!

I pack for five days and do laundry as needed at hotel. In winter you can wear uniform shirt for a few days before it gets ripe and summer maybe two days. Some FBOs have washer and dryers, which i use when i am on airport standby or waiting for pax. I know of someone who uses those vacuum pack type bags which really compacts everything. You will figure it out as you go.

I can get 6 uniform "rolls" in the 22 bag with room for street cloths and workout cloths. key is rolling up the inform undershirts, socks and boxers then stacking them along the bag. carry lots of quarters do laundry when you can because you don't know when the next place that has it will be.

a bigger bag will solve this problem, is that an option?

A lot of guys/gals I work with have the international bags. I don't think work is enforcing the carry-on policy. Maybe, they need to update the policy as it was written for an 8 day rotation. However, if anyone has a way to do it in a smaller bag sometimes less is better.

Wear a Tshirt with the uniform shirt and plan on doing laundry on the road. I would travel with baggies of laundry soap, dryer sheets, quarters, and a small stick of that stain fighter for the collar. They normally sell soap at the hotels but a lot of times they are out and it saves a lot of hassle.

When I flew cargo on 19 day rotations I would bring three synthetic undershirts and boxers and do sink laundry.

Don't worry it gets easier with each rotation. I got to the point where I was good for a 17 day rotation as long as I did not buy anything on my trips.

Blue skies!

Good suggestions from the group. I highly suggest the Under Armour Tactical T-Shirts. Pricey, but well worth it! Wash in the hotel bathroom sink and hang over shower curtain rod they are dry in a few hours. If time is tight hit it with the hair dryer. I bought a 3 pack off Ebay. They pack small.

When I went back to Savannah for G school and to wait for a/c delivery, I packed 5 days of clothing and did laundry (Residence Inn had free machines and soap/dryer sheets! Other Residence Inns do charge so it's up to the owner)

In our contract, laundry is paid if over 6 days on the road so I can drop off at front desk, is that option for you? I prefer to do my own, but I am nuts.

Cheers-

Rum

I can get 6 uniform "rolls" in the 22 bag with room for street cloths and workout cloths. key is rolling up the inform undershirts, socks and boxers then stacking them along the bag. carry lots of quarters do laundry when you can because you don't know when the next place that has it will be.

What if you wear a thong?

I would travel with baggies of laundry soap

They make "laundry sheets" now. Smaller, and better than having the bag with the detergent tear inside your suitcase. Purex is one brand, but there's others, too.

Also, when washing in the hotel sink, just use the little bottle of free shampoo they provide. Works fine for a handful of pairs of skivvies, socks, and undershirts. As others have said, any material other than 100% cotton will dry quickly. I like the 60/40 blend undershirts from JC Penney (Stratford brand I think). They'll easily dry in a few hours hung in the room.

We did 18-day international rotations, and I lived out of a 26" bag without a problem. 3 uniform shirts, 2 uniform pants, 1 or 2 pairs civilian pants and a couple polos, 6 pair skivvies and socks, 3 undershirts, workout clothes, and a jacket.

Latest resources

Back