Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jackotron

Man, Myth
The subject says it all. Does anyone have any suggestions. Even if I got my MEI they say that most insurance companies will not permit it low-time mulit instructors.

Jack

Trubine time is not gonna get you anywhere...
You might wanna start looking for some TURBINE time..
plenty of mullit heads in the south..

Sorry could not help my self here SPELLCHECK

1) Military
2) After you get your IFR 135 mins (1200tt, etc...) you can try to get a job with a freight company and upgrade to a turbine aircraft, sometimes after only 6-9 months.
3) There's a scenic tour company somewhere in southern Utah or near Vegas that flys twin otters. I think they hire at 800tt or something. Maybe someone can chime in on the name
4) Regional Airline

As far as turbine time goes, don't sweat it for now. Get your CFII and MEI and build some quality time instructing and/or other stuff on the side. Maybe even spend a summer banner towing somewhere. Some places work your a$$ to the bone, literally 24/7 but you can log up to 700hrs in a summer.

I'd say the thing you should focus on now are getting your ratings and racing to that magic 1200 hour mark. Then doors will start to open. Develop a plan, set it in motion and be patient (something I'm not known for). It takes a while to get anywhere in this line of work...

Good luck

Last edited:
Multi-Time

The best way for you to get multi time is get hired on with a 91/135 operation (leaning more toward 135) and put your time in at the bottom flying single engine stuff until a position opens up. Either that or split multi time with another guy/gal that wants to rent a twin and pay for it. good luck

jackotron said:
they say that most insurance companies will not permit it low-time mulit instructors.
Most do, but your employer will probably have to pay a higher premium. If you get hired on with a decent sized school, this shouldn't be a problem.

When I was CFI-job hunting (@ 266hrs) the first question I was asked at EVERY SINGLE PLACE was, "Got your MEI???"

If you have an MEI, and you give at least a half a$$ effort in your job search, you will find a place to instruct.

Hey propilot1983 -

Out of curiosity, who do you fly freight for at 800hrs?

I fly for a small midwest FBO. I am restricted to VFR single engine until I hit 1200TT. I fly cancelled bank checks to St. Louis most every weekday night. It is a good gig unless the wx is bad...also flight instruct. i like it.

jackotron said:
The subject says it all. Does anyone have any suggestions. Even if I got my MEI they say that most insurance companies will not permit it low-time mulit instructors.

Jack
The military.

the best and quickest way to get your multi turbine PIC is to fly those crazy skydivers. what i did is i hung around in the local dropzones and BS with the owners and pilots. and then one day they asked me if i can fly the C182 for a while and then they trained me on the twin otter after couple of months and then the following season i was flying the otter on my own. i got 700 of twin turbine PIC out of it. i should have stay for another couple of months to get the magic 1000 turbine PIC time. oh well.

Latest resources

Back