How to explain a f/k up?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
Couple questions that people typically ask, and I've never heard definitive answers for:

Do the interviewers actually know whether or not you've failed a checkride before, or is it strictly the honor system? For instance, do they have access to FAA records that shows your previous checkride results?

And also, is more then one pink slip bad news for you on an interview?

And is failing a checkride on the oral portion matter any less or more then failing the flight portion?

Usually the honor system, BUT if they do know, and it's not impossible, and you lie, you just blew all your chances of getting hired.

More than one pink slip? No problem.

Failing the oral is the same as failing the flight portion.

Seriously guys, once you get the interview, it's as much or more an evaluation of your character than anything else. Tell the truth. Things that you've done are unchangable, just be yourself and tell the truth. If you worry about it, it only makes it worse.

Yep - The pink slip will follow you around forever. The FAA has it in your Pilot Information File and dammed if they don't have several copies of the same pink slip in my file. I pinked slipped my IFR ride back in 1989. No one has ever asked me about it, but I checked the file and it is there.

I have had two interviews thus far in the flying business and was hired both times. For the next interview I'm hoping that three type ratings trump the IFR ride I busted, then passed a week later.

If somebody won't hire you because you failed your instrument checkride the first time around, you probably would not want to work for them anyway...

Officially, if you don't pass a 141 checkride first time around, you don't get pink slipped, thats the reason why when you bring your 8710 ap. you sign it but don't date it until after you pass, if you mess up on something you just go back and redo it and as far as the FAA knows you passed first try. A lot of people i talk to say that since technically you didn't fail the checkride, even if you had to redo something, you didn't fail and you don't have to mark that you failed on applications. It seems to me though, that they will figure it out when they look in your logbook or get your training records. So even if you are part 141 shouldn't you just say you busted a checkride even though according to the FAA you didn't?

A failed checkride or two is no big deal. You'll be asked it you ever failed a checkride. Answer the question honestly. Accept responsibility for whatever happened, explain what you learned, and move on.

My advice to Adam with the who has been shot down by four airlines is to get some interview prep. I can guarantee that one failed IFR checkride is not preventing him from getting hired.

Busting a check ride isn't a bid deal. Just explain it if asked, but don't use the F-word. They don't think it's as funny as I do.

I failed my CFI checkride the first time. It didn't keep me from getting any offers. Honesty is what they are looking for. "It was the examiner, not me" is the red flag.

My wife had never busted a ride and they didn't believe her at first when she told them during her phone interview. That just shows you how common it is, and how rare it is (and not really an issue by itself) to have blown a checkride.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back