Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumorhasit

$11.25 per seat mile
How do you explain a pink slip during a check ride while training? I messed up on my adf/ndb hold on my Inst check ride...real bad wind that day...and I fck up....:confused:

And yes I did nail it two days later with an excellent written in my log book by the examiner...:cool:

But now what is a good way to explain it during a future interview...?

Dude, it's not a big deal. The most help you can give yourself about it is to stop worrying about it. Seriously.

Them: Have you ever failed a checkride?
You: Yes, my instrument check ride.
Them: What happened?
You: I screwed up the NDB hold.
Them: What did you learn from it?
You: I learned...<insert valuable learning tidbit here>.

Don't make excuses about it, just tell them about it and forget about it. If you've never failed a checkride, THEN they bust out the hard questions.

Treat it like it was a great learning experience. Own up to the mistake you made which caused you to fail and don't make any excuses. They like people who are accountable for their actions and mistakes. Tell them how much you grew because of it.

Be Honest and tell them you learned _____________ from it.
We have all or will fail a ck ride in our career.
NO big deal, relax on the interview and BE HONEST.

You busted a checkride you get a pink slip
you do a recheck and you pass
doesn't that pink slip disappears?

rumorhasit said:
How do you explain a pink slip during a check ride while training? I messed up on my adf/ndb hold on my Inst check ride...real bad wind that day...and I fck up....:confused:

And yes I did nail it two days later with an excellent written in my log book by the examiner...:cool:

But now what is a good way to explain it during a future interview...?

I busted my IFR for the same exact reason.

A lot of my friends also busted IFR, its not uncommon or anything. You showed you learned from it, and passed on the next try. No big deal. It even gives you something to talk about in an interview, and put yourself in a positivel light.

Couple questions that people typically ask, and I've never heard definitive answers for:

Do the interviewers actually know whether or not you've failed a checkride before, or is it strictly the honor system? For instance, do they have access to FAA records that shows your previous checkride results?

And also, is more then one pink slip bad news for you on an interview?

And is failing a checkride on the oral portion matter any less or more then failing the flight portion?

adammcafee said:
i busted my ifr, interviewed w/ four regionals, still no job, it must mean something...

Dude I hope you find a job... My experience is they ask you whether you failed a checkride during the phone interview. If it mattered to the company then why do they extend the invitation after a failed checkride is disclosed over the phone?

You think busting a checkride is bad? Try explaining a gear up accident. I know 2 people that geared up and still got on with minimal rejections. Checkride failures are nothing when compared to incidents/accidents. But in any case, just be truthful and hope that they think you learned from it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back