• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to be a successful CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Point of interest, the ideas listed in the first post are to simply help you generate your own ideas for success. Each idea has to be taken on it's own merit and adapted to fit individual situations. NOTHING written on the list is to be considered a RULE.

Also, if anyone has any "bullet ideas" to submit, then I will "update" my original post and add your items to the list.

Let's see how big the "Tips to be successful" list can become. After all, that was the intent of the original post.

Now, who has an item for #37?

Toysoldier,

Not raining on your parade that your a "master CFI", but is sounds like you just trying to screw people out of money based on the fact that your a "master CFI". Why not trying to build respect from you students and treat them with respect not as cash cows. Every other sentence is S@#! them for more money. You don't seem to specialize in anything (e.g) "teach tailwheel" amongst other things. Is this quality tailwheel or just "hack and slash" training? My tailwheel instructor had 6000 hours of tailwheel time in Alaska. He only charged $35/hour...

RD

"splash and GO"

ORIGINAL POST BY RUBBERDUCKY
Not raining on your parade that your a "master CFI", but is sounds like you just trying to screw people out of money based on the fact that your a "master CFI".

I charge students according to my experience, professionalism, liability and ratings.

Why not trying to build respect from you students and treat them with respect...

I have students that drive over an hour to train with me (at $45/hr). Even though they have schools in their backyards and could pay "CHEAPER" rates if they wanted to. When I ask them why, they say something about the quality of instruction that they "didn't" get at the "cheaper, more local" schools...

Every other sentence is S@#! them for more money.

Yes, I provide a professional service and expect to be paid for it. Charging for my services is not "shorting' the customers. NOT providing a "quality" product is. I also offer a free lesson to potential students so that can go and compare me to other CFI's. They ALWAYS come back at their own choice...

You don't seem to specialize in anything (e.g) "teach tailwheel" amongst other things.

I specialize in giving professional grade instruction. Hence, I have the "respect" that you mentioned above. I am also a highly sought after instructor...

Is this quality tailwheel or just "hack and slash" training? My tailwheel instructor had 6000 hours of tailwheel time in Alaska. He only charged $35/hour...

Rates vary anywhere from $25/hr to $65/hr in my area. I charge the median. A brand-spanking new CFI gets an average of 25/hr. Why shouldn't I get a raise for having significantly more experience than a "newly minted" CFI? Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, my rates went to $35 after I got my Master CFI and then to $45/hr after getting my ATP. I simply used those milestones to gauge my "pay raises".

Footnote, I have GIVEN away over 400 hours of multi-engine dual during the past two years trying to help out junior CFI's, student pilots of mine, fellow pilots, etc. I simply take them with me to "work" and give them dual during the ride. I believe in sharing my blessings with others. Therefore, I share my twin-engine time...

Like my original post said, "How to be a successful CFI". I am a successful CFI. I wouldn't be if I "shorted" my customers...

Last edited:
Two questions for the poster

6. Read the book "The Savy CFI".

7. Use Landings.com to target your students.

Can you give me the low down on this book? You say its worth buying/reading?

How do you use Landings.com to target your students?

BE SINCERE

An instructor certainly needs to prepare well, have good knowledge and possess strong delivery skills to do an effective job. However, as some of you have pointed out, something more is needed. To be effective, an instructor must be sincere. As long as you are obviously trying to do a good job and truly care about your students then they will be amazingly tolerant of weaknesses in both preparation and delivery. But give them a chance to suspect your sincerity and you lose effectiveness. Once lost, effectiveness is almost impossible to regain. What is sincerity? Sincerity may be defined as being open, honest and straightforward. A sincere instructor is confident enough to admit weaknesses, does not try to cover up his or her own mistakes and honestly says 'I am not sure about that, let me find out' - rather than giving a cover-up answer. Sincerity toward your students is reflected in your eye contact, enthusiasm and concern about each student as an individual. Sincerity toward the subject is judged by whether or not you seem involved and interested in the subject or topic of the lesson. You should also be sincere towards yourself. With sincerity toward yourself, I mean that you should care about your own performance. You should be concerned about how well you are doing your job and ask questions like 'am I doing the best job possible?' . Lack of sincerity in any of these areas will hinder effective learning.

I charge somewhat on the ability to pay - yeah, kinda Marxist I suppose, but I'm a sucker for some struggling kid who's doing everything they can to make it.

I let the rich aircraft owners pay me for the full time, of course.

I'd call myself Robin Hood, but I'm stealin' from me...

I've charged over $50/hr on occasion, an with little complaint.

However, it is not necessary to have "the best possible instruction" in every instance. (I'll get flamed on this of course, even though I've been a CFI and trained pilots under 135 and 121.) Sometimes 'pretty good' is good enough.

I probably could get that 'master CFI with my current pass rate, but I never liked titles.

I would rather be remembered by of few of my proteges who really appreciated the knowledge I passed on.

I say thanks when people tell me that I'm a good instructor, but I often interpret that phrase as "Wow, I had fun flying today - thanks for coming along."

Gizbug

The book has a lot of great info/ideas in it. I read it twice. Yes, I say buy it.

As far as Landings.com goes, I do the following searches in the databases:

1. I search for private pilots and try to sell them on their instrument ticket. (local pilots)

2. I find pilots with airplanes and then try to sell them on their instrument ticket, flight reviews. (local pilots)

3. I search for twin owners.

4. Landings lets you search for pilots by town, city, etc...

5. Find instrument rated pilots in your area offer to do their IPC.

6. Etc...

It has a wealth of information in the datat bases.

Good luck!

100LL... Again!

Good morning!

Just in case you are interested, here is the link to the Master CFI program. It doesn't have anything to do with pass rates, however. It is a program that requires two years of certain activities to complete, must be completed every two years, and must have a portfolio reviewed by a board.

The link will take you to the requirements section.

http://www.nafinet.org/mastercfi/index.html

Blue skies..:)

Latest resources

Back