• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to avoid the regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rickair wasn't too far off. There were things that I didnt quite agree with though...

Its a good thing falcon capt'n morgan and frog flyer were there to shoot him down quickly...lest we have any opinions that didnt represent the majority!!!

HAHAHA.

carry-on gentlemen.

mhcasey said:
Yes sorry I meant to type corporate.

It sounds like there are some options out there. I guess for the time being I'll just keep training and networking. Fortunately, I do have some pretty good connections out there for way in the future (Dad's been flying for American for 20+ years, good family friend may be CEO of American a few years down the road, other good family friend is in charge of hiring for SW, best friend's dad has a lot of seniority with Fedex, etc.), but I still need to get turbine time before I can take advantage of all of that.

Since I guess not everyone is opposed to the regionals, which ones tend to produce a decent quality of life/get you up to the big airlines? I guess that issue can be covered in another thread...

Thanks so far though. I'm going to give an aquaintance who's flying corporate a call and see what's going on out there, and will be sure to go that direction if he verifies the attractive copilot thing...

WOW - thats some impressive contacts, something us other pilots can only dream about!
Seeing as this industry is all about who you know, then what you know, i would say the first part is already covered!
So what do you want to end up doing eventually? Cargo? Corporate? Airlines?
I would speak to your 'contacts' and find out straight from the horses mouth what would look best on your resume, and go from there.
Good luck in whatever it is you choose to do

frog_flyer said:
bestest is not a word chief
Bestesest is though. Other than that, go night freight all the way. You'll be a better pilot for it.

buffettck said:
Ahhh...yet even more words of wisdom... :rolleyes:

Is your point in life to try and piss off as many fellow pilots out there as possible? I guess I should rephrase as I would not want to be classified in the same group as you. Your a disgrace buddy.

Have you thought of the Air Force??? Go in, fly tankers or bombers, do your eight years, come out and go straight to FEDEX. What could be better? Wish I would have done that.

Yes, I've thought about the Air Force, but if I'm flying for our country, I want to be flying Uncle Sam's coolest stuff, so if I go into the Air Force or Air National Guard, I want to fly F-15's if possible. The only thing holding me back right now is the thought that I might have to go bomb mounds of sand or even worse, mounds of sand covered with women and children and a few terrorists. Don't get me wrong, terrorists piss me off, but trying to find the a-holes (I don't know the rules on this board, so everything is g-rated) half way around the world is proving to be a very interesting endeavor.

Anyway, I'm looking into it. I hear the "Don't do it unless you want to serve Uncle Sam" thing a lot. Rest assured, I do. I just don't know if Uncle Sam is making the best decisions right now.

Either way, I'm trying to get in contact with an Air National Guard recruiter (surprisingly difficult), and I'm calling up good friend's brother later this week to find out how he worked his way into the cockpit of an F-15.

1973Arrow said:
Not all of the regionals are 'crap' either. There are a few good ones out there (just a few). Don't whore yourself out to the lowest or bidder and keep your standards high...

All I want to know is who these regionals are. Do tell!

Also, for the other dude, it shouldn't be hard to contact an ANG recruiter. What state are you in? Don't contact just your state. Talk to all your neighboring states as well. Some states have an online messaging thing where you can ask questions. Here's the response you can expect to receive when you finally find someone helpful on the other line:

"There are guys with way more military experience lined up for the flying opportunity that have been in the ANG for years. There's just no way you can jump into it without military experience. You need to sign up and start getting that military experience."

Well, don't forget we are at war. The experience an ANGuardsman may get is the grunt work in Iraq just to "get in."

Again, I must ask the other guy. Who do you consider the few good regionals?

Falcon Capt said:
That is the dumbest thing I have read in a long time...

I have 10 years of Corporate experience and I say different... From your profile it looks like you don't have ANY Corporate experience...

If your own hiring practices are even-handed in that regard, then I applaud you.

About half of my CFI friends from back-when do corporate...the female half. The guys had to go regional, whether they wanted to or not, but the girls all seemed to get snapped right up by the small local operators. I'm also an airport bum, so I know d*mn-well what goes on.

I'm not venting about that situation, but realistically, if you're just some random young guy looking at going that route, you need to understand the reality so you're not surprised down the road. My venue is SOCAL if that makes any difference.

Latest resources

Back