Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AMRCostUnit

Back on the 737
Thinking of getting out of the cold and high taxes here in ORD and moving to MCO. Should lightning strike me and I get called for an interview and get hired, how long is it taking a new hire to get MCO?

AA is taking the 737 out of ORD so I will get displaced and can get a paid move (household goods only; no realtors fee. Time for FSBO) to MCO and I will do the short commute to MIA and stay on the 737. If I get lucky with SWA then I'll do the long commute until MCO come through. Or am I dreaming?

Unit
Forever Hopeful

Rumored to be hiring 700 this year. It wont take long to get to any of the bases at that rate. MCO is around the middle of the senority pack for bases. I would expect to spend the first month in OAK and work your way to MCO. If you got in realatively soon you should be home for Christmas. MDW will be growing the fastest the first half of the year and I would assume BWI the second half. Always lots of movement and since we are in a large growth mode it wont take long at all.

Thanks for the info. I hope I am one of 700. Since an interview isn't even on the horizion Christmas 2005 is probably optimistic but one can hope. It would seem dumb to move from ORD because MDW is junior but I can cut my expenses in MCO and prepare for the new hire pay and I can get $14K of my pay cut back from AA in the form of moving expenses.

Unit

AMR Cost unit.
Just curious, how many years do you have with AA?
I am on the 737 in MIA, we have lots of guys commuting from MCO,
seems to be a very easy commute. Some guys even drive,but most fly
(AA to MIA or SWA to FLL)

Springtime is the time to sell. If you want to do FSBO, put it on the market early (like by late March). Plan to pay a 3% commission to a buyer's agent, if they are working with one, and include that in your ad ("will work with buyer's agent" or something to that effect).

We had great luck selling our house the last time doing the above.

If you have kids that are in school, though, you may want to look long and hard at the public schools . . . . many FL schools are not up to par, and you may have to include private school $$ in your household budget. Of course, the lack of a state income tax and lower property taxes will help offest that . . .

Good Luck.

Last edited:
viking737 said:
AMR Cost unit.
Just curious, how many years do you have with AA?
I am on the 737 in MIA, we have lots of guys commuting from MCO,
seems to be a very easy commute. Some guys even drive,but most fly
(AA to MIA or SWA to FLL)

I am a 1992 hire so that would be 13 years. I talked with a few guys down there and they say it's not a problem. I think any commute is a problem but life isn't perfect.

Unit

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Ty. We homeschool the kids although the schools can effect the value of your house if they aren't good.

Unit

Want to second what Ty said. Do your homework about schools, property prices, etc. Compared to Chicago I'm sure Orlando is a cake walk in regards to property and wage taxes, car insurance, traffic, etc. Just go in with eyes wide open. We homeschooled for several years. The two oldest are in public high school while the youngest is in a small private school.

And one last thing if you happen to relocate to SW Orlando your kids must drive a Beemer or Mercedes if they are to be socially acceptable. Joking somewhat.

Latest resources

Back