• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How often do you update your logbook?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least once a week. Too many guys i know fall behind and just hate life when they have to update 8 months of flight time in 4 days for an interview.

Logbooks

avbug said:
[G]oing back through my logbooks, the entries are detailed enough that I can recall almost every individual flight . . . . They're more than just logs; they are archives; they're memories of everything I've done with my life . . .
Shades of Fate is the Hunter.

I entered my time every day after work while the day's flying was fresh in my mind. I did not carry my logbook in my flight bag or leave it at my school(s) because strange and upsetting things happen to logbooks that sit around at flight schools. I kept them at home. My flying was primarily instructing, so I would enter the name of the student, all maneuvers covered, unusual wx conditions, and, if it was an instrument flight, the approaches he/she executed. My rationale for keeping meticulous logs was threefold: (1) my logbooks and recording my students' signoffs in the back per the FARs were my training records, just in case my school(s) lost theirs or they otherwise vanished;(2) I could reconstruct for a student the instruction I gave in case he/she lost his/her logbook; and, (3) by doing (1) and (2) I could CYA in case something funky happened to a student who was on my watch.

That's what I did. Hope that helps some more.

Last edited:
What's a logbook? Isn't that the metal thing that you write in when something breaks on the airplane?

Close. A logbook is the inventory control sheet in a lumberyard or papermill. It's also a novel written on really heavy paper. It's also the thing Captain Kirk uses to keep track of his many adventures.

I used Logbook Pro, which made it easy to do after each flight. Sometimes, I'd be away from home and going to the airport from there, for a couple of weeks at a time. Then I'd have to sit down and make twenty entries.

Most of the time, I tried to make the entries every week, at a minimum.

Of course, now, I haven't made an entry in a while. :(

JayDub said:
I keep mine updated in the name of "good" karma. The people I know that quit keeping a logbook up to date all needed to back-track later because they lost their job. I figure if I keep mine updated, I'll never need it. Ask me in 27 years and three days if it worked.

Same here. I just brought the last nine months up to date in my master logbooks, so I can take 2003's little red book to the safe deposit box. Now I've just gotta record my per diem for the year and I'll be ready for tax time.

I consider keeping a logbook up to date good kharma protection against furloughs. 20 years and four months to go (if I don't bail out earlier).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back