• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
joepilot29 said:
Went to delta corruption for pvt thru cfi
total loan 100K
Monthly payment $625 for 18 more years

WOW!!!,I feel for you!!! After my Com. rating I never had to pay any out of my own pocket. After college went to work for small FBO/aircraft dealer, part of my pay was my multi & CFI's. Got my ATP on my first type ride. My humble advice: don't rush into schools/jobs, there are deals out there if you are willing to work and hold up your end of the deal.

I feel for some of you guys... 20-30 years paying off flight school... good grief! Knowing that, I would advise anyone who has limited funds, a college degree and is interested in aviation as a career to do it through the military. In 20 years you will have a pension from Uncle Sam, dirt cheap health bennies and practically zero debt. It could be risky in that you may not finish your career flying or you could end up dead. You can solve the first problem by buying some time at the local FBO before you get out or by only serving the minimum time on active duty (about 7-10 years) and finishing up the rest as a reservist. Can't really solve the second problem.

Oh-ryan said:
I feel for some of you guys... 20-30 years paying off flight school... good grief! Knowing that, I would advise anyone who has limited funds, a college degree and is interested in aviation as a career to do it through the military. In 20 years you will have a pension from Uncle Sam, dirt cheap health bennies and practically zero debt. It could be risky in that you may not finish your career flying or you could end up dead. You can solve the first problem by buying some time at the local FBO before you get out or by only serving the minimum time on active duty (about 7-10 years) and finishing up the rest as a reservist. Can't really solve the second problem.

I agree, but I imagine there are a lot of people out there like me who would love to fly for the military but can't because of some medical issue (perhaps something completely arbitrary). My vision is 20/20 with my contacts, but 20/200 without. That (and my bad color vision) knocked me out - although my color vision is perfectly fine for distinguishing aviation colors. I've heard of people being DQ'd for much less. I understand that the military needs to maintain the highest standards, but for a lot of people, dumping money into training is the only way.

My recommendation would be to go to college and grad school first (I did both in 5 years - it can be done if you go summers and work your arse off) - get into a good career and use the money from that to support your flying. Then if flying doesn't work out, you'll have a career to fall back on. Sure, it takes a bit longer, but it gets around the debt issue.

Just wanted to say...Murdo, it just dawned on me where your avatar is from...Pilotwings on the SNES. I killed numerous consecutive days on that game, lol!

stearnst said:
Just wanted to say...Murdo, it just dawned on me where your avatar is from...Pilotwings on the SNES. I killed numerous consecutive days on that game, lol!

Haha, as did I!

Latest resources

Back