• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Hey folks,

Looking for some advice from the sages of the corporate forum. I'm thinking that the corporate gig might be for me, but to get hired I'll need to get some good PIC time somewhere, and I may have to go to a regional to get it (I'd probably only consider the regionals with a quicker upgrade time even if that means a turboprop instead of a jet.) How favorable (or unfavorable) would this be to the guys doing the hiring at the 91 operators? Is a "pure" background needed or is a little 121 time ok?

Thanks in advance.

-Goose

Last edited:
Why on earth would you go to a regional? I would recommend getting on with a PT135 operator and flying a King Air. Your schedule will probably suck but the pay will be better and you'll start building turbine PIC sooner. Also, you'll be operating into a bigger variety of airports, interacting with pax, negotiating fuel prices, handling, catering, etc.- necessary skills for corp operators that aren't learned flying 121.

Good Luck!!!

If you want to fly corporate for your career, I recommend staying away from 121 and getting a 91/135 gig right off the bat if you can. Most corporate operators shy away from hiring 121 guys, and prefer to hire guys from within the corporate/charter ranks. They will often hire guys with lower time that are from within , than hire a high time 121 guy off the street.

Recommend getting a gig at the biggest local GA airport near where you live (PDK, TEB, PWK, DAL, etc) and then networking around the airport.

Stay away from 121 if you want a corporate career.

j32

Having been tarred with 18 years of 121, I'd agree--start out with 135 and stay corporate. Besides, after 135, any 91 job will look good... :D ;) TC

Having flown both 121/135, and 91. Go to first operator who offers a good job and get the time. My belief is that a quality 91 corporation will hire the person reguardless of his/hers background if personality fits. That was situation in my case. Dont hesitate to work for a 121 in the fear that you wont ever get a job in GA, it just isnt true.
Oh yeah, good luck...

If you have good experience, can teach and don't mind being locked in a box for about a year, try out FlightSafety. They always seem to be looking for people. Try to get into a busy center that has top notch sims...TEB has all the falcons, Wilmington DE gulfstreams, globals, etc, savannah has got gulfstreams, etc...

FSI will train the hell out of you, make you an examiner and you'll be able to network like crazy. You'll be sitting in the box training all the Pt 135/91 chief pilots, director of ops, etc. If you are a normal guy and have a good personality, they'll remember you. I know from experience. FSI got me where I am now.

XBOEINGDRIVER is right, a good 91 department will hire someone with good experince , but also compatable personality regardless if their background is 121 or not. I think there is some truth that it is more difficult to go from 121 to corporate, but I am proof it is not impossible. If you want to fly corporate, I would go to a regional as a last resort, but certainly don't rule it out. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses, guys. Any opinions on going to a Part 91 K PC-12 operator? I'd probably have about 2-300 multi in a seminole by then.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back