How messed up is this?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flyer172r said:
I can't remember the specific regulations, but I remember reading somewhere that it is illegal to buy an airline ticket for a multiple-leg trip with the intent of only flying on one of those legs.

How they enforce that, I don't know.

I do not believe it is "illegal" per se, but contrary to the airlines policy. I'll tell you how they enforce it, they cancel your return ticket and refuse to reimburse you. Since you did not complete your flight, somewhere in the micro print on the back of your tickets, they have reserved the right to cancel any remaining portions of your itinerary, if you do not complete all legs of the flight. When you show up back at Newark or Philly for the flight home, the agent will tell you that you are not listed for that flight, notwithstanding that you are holding a ticket in your hand for that flight.

I experienced this first hand. I booked a flight to South Bend that had a layover in Chicago. Instead of taking the flight from Chicago to SB, I decided to make the hour and a half drive with a buddy who was going down. When I appeared at the SB airport two days later to fly home, the above fine print was pointed out to me. The airline eventually caved and let me on the plane, but not without a fight. This policy really does seem moronic.

mcjohn said:
Man, if you worked where I work you could get the employee discount on a beautiful new 172SP at 10% of the pre-pay rate. That's around 90/hr I think.
Oh wait, you do work where I work. Why don't you take the Arrow? Go down to Hendersonville and take their Arrow. It's only $110/hour.

donde esta?!

Cessna172heavy said:
To fly from AVL to EWR on Continental (Express Jet) roundtrip was $560 per person. Needless to say, thats way too much. However, if we changed the destination to PHL, with a connection in EWR...the total price per person is $215.

It's all about city-pair pricing. I buy one-ways or RT's from the BUF to CLT. That's a pricey fare. But I book the flight to RDU on the same connecting flight through CLT. It's a fraction of the cost. I just bail off the flight in CLT. Works like a charm..been doing it for a while.

Just drive down Highway 25 to GSP-Coex goes direct to EWR.This is what DUATS says:

SUG V20 COLIN V213 RBV
Flight totals: fuel: 44 gallons, time: 4:50, distance 526.7 nm

That's for a 180HP 172.

Last edited:
If the most important item is saving money, why don't you drive it?

Eight-hour trip. Figure two tanks of gas each way. While it'd be nicer to fly it in the 172, I don't see it costing you more than $170 in gas money for your car.

I just bought my mom a ticket. IT cost 400 less to fly to her destination through Houston from san antonio than to just skip san antonio and fly our of Houston. . .That is stupid!

I have very good and very poor friend who was living in the IAD area and looking for a house near CLT. A flight from IAD to CLT was about $900 roundtrip, so he booked IAD through CLT continuing to TPA for about $125.00 each way with the intention of skipping the second segment. Well he did as planned and his Credit Card was charged the equivalent of a 3 day advanced purchase one-way fare to CLT and ended up renting a car and driving home. I tried to tell him, but he was convinced he'd found the magic lottery ticket of commercial flying.

There have been some good thoughts posted on here...

We went ahead and purchased the cheaper fare for the flight from AVL to PHL, with the thought of just renting a car in EWR and blowing off the segment from EWR to PHL, especially since it is on a train. Well, I like to have my bases covered so I called continental and asked the hypothetical "what if" we don't get on the train. I figured since it was two different forms of transportation we'd be ok, but sure enough, somehow continental will know if my wife and I don't check in on the train and thus we'll be counted as no shows and have the rest of our trip cancelled. How convenient!!! So we're gonna run the itinerary as scheduled, and ride the train out of our way, rent a car in philly, and then backtrack to Princeton, and then to the reverse 3 days later. It sucks, but we'll deal with it.

Also, I'd love to fly us up there personally, but if I was willing to fork out the cash to do that, I wouldn't be on here griping about how lousy our airfare is!!! We're talking at least $500 each way in a C172 (and thats with my employee discount)!!! Thanks but, no thanks...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back