How many UAL to SKYW/MESA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
crashpad said:
Does ALPA have anything in the works to get the midwest and east coast furloughees on with the other UAL carriers like ZW, CHQ, or TSA?

Many of the UA guys at YV who were assigned the CRJ could be based in PHL flying for UX (PHL is the junior CRJ base). Though I don't understand the details of the UA deal with YV, I know they also operate ERJ-145's out of CLT and DCA, and I see no reason UA furloughs wanting to go east couldn't fly those as well.

It's likely only a matter of time before ZW, CHQ, and TSA managment give UA furloughees the 'employment opportunities' that are specified in the UA contract, so more east coast should soon open up.

This is all fascinating to me. Mesa has a J4J deal with USAirways. That one gives 1/2 the "new jobs", in aircraft contracted to U, including the Captain slots, to furloughed U pilots.

Mesa has yet another J4J deal with United, that gives preferential hiring to furloughed UAL pilots and, according to you all, these new hires get to "choose" the airplane they want to fly. All they need now is a third deal with America West.

Over at SKYW, the UAL pilots get the same deal and also, presumably, get to choose the airplane they want to fly.

Since both Mesa and SKYW have more than one aircraft type, what happens to the seniority of the Mesa and SkyWest pilots employed prior to the U and UAL pilots?

Assuming that the "jet" jobs are better and pay more than the "prop" jobs, how come the Mesa and SKYW pilots don't get to bid for those better jobs before the U or UAL pilots come on board? How do these "jet" vacancies for U and UAL pilots occur, while Mesa and SKYW pilots are stuck in the lower paying prop jobs?

Looks to me like the Union that represents U, UAL and Mesa pilots has engineered a "deal" to steal the seniority of the Mesa pilots and give it to the U and UAL pilots? What amazes me is that the Mesa pilots appear to think this is some kind of "good deal" and are willing to give their seniority to the pilots of, not one, but two different airlines.

Over at SKYW, there is no union but the same thing is happening. The union of the UAL pilots has managed to steal the seniority of the SkyWest pilots and the latter appear to be happy about it.

I used to doubt the so-called "Stockholm syndrome" but after looking at this it is obvious that I was wrong. ALPA has brainwashed thousands of pilots at several regionals into giving up their seniority and being happy to do it.

On top of all this, the same kinds of "deals" are pending at TSA, CHQ, ARW, maybe ACA and of course the grand theft in progress between AA and EGL.

Suffice to say that the day would never come when the U or UAL pilots or the AA pilots would do the same for Mesa or SKYW pilots or any of the others, nor would they allow the "union" to do this to them.

Are these regional pilots just plain dumb or are they all a bunch of brainwashed suckers?

Fascinating.

Let's keep it simple....

UAL furloughee's are going to the BOTTOM of the MESA/Skywest list.

UAL furloughee's can "preference" what airplane they want to fly, the person may or may not be senior enough to hold want they want.

This whole deal was done so as to allow 70 SEAT RJ's. UAL guys/gals only get 5 slot's per new 70 seat airplane that Mesa/Skywest gets.

NOBODY is getting screwed. Mesa and Skywest are growing becasue of this (Ie new 70 seat RJ's) Notice that none of the UAL guys/gals are getting to fly the RJ-70, the F/O seat and CAPT seat will be gowing to more SENIOR pilots.

Personally, I would pass on the whole deal. As have about 1000 other UAL furloughee's. I guess 6 and 1/2 years at a regional before UAL will do that to ya. Don't know if I could adjust back to a 19 seat way of life, ie no autopilot and no F/A.

I guess the BETTER way to have done this was to have UAL fly the 70 SEAT RJ's recall the Furloughee's, and not let ANY of the UAX carriers fly 70 seats? Of course I am sure someone will bitch about that idea as well......

surplus1 said:
This is all fascinating to me. Since both Mesa and SKYW have more than one aircraft type, what happens to the seniority of the Mesa and SkyWest pilots employed prior to the U and UAL pilots?

Assuming that the "jet" jobs are better and pay more than the "prop" jobs, how come the Mesa and SKYW pilots don't get to bid for those better jobs before the U or UAL pilots come on board? How do these "jet" vacancies for U and UAL pilots occur, while Mesa and SKYW pilots are stuck in the lower paying prop jobs? ALPA has brainwashed thousands of pilots at several regionals into giving up their seniority and being happy to do it.

Fascinating.

All UA and U J4J pilots are at the bottom of the seniority list, be they Captain or FO. They will also probably be on reserve for quite some time while the rest of us upgrade as lineholders. With the amount of a/c we are to be flying in the next 15 months, every FO on every piece of equipment already here will be a Captain.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back