Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many of you thought you'd be where you are now in your career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I used to be allowed up in the cockpit back in the days when I was a kid. I was used to hard labor at home, cutting firewood, hauling heavy timbers and boards with my dad doing construction projects, icing/gutting fish in the cold and wet, running chains for timber surveys in the cold and wet while trying to keep a very straight line through piles of brush, putting in hay for farmers, etc. I saw these guys up front of their DC-10, watching the world go by far beneath them, flying a cool piece of machinery, feet up on the panel reading a newspaper, traveling the world. I knew that looked like a good life.

I didn't imagine it was going to cost this much, take this long, and I'd make this little, at this point in my life. Still, I don't regret doing it.

Thanks Big Duke, that was the kind of response I'm looking for. Out of curiousity, would you trade your position for anything else?

I went to an airshow a few weeks ago, and finally sat in a T-38, and I just thought to myself, "I need to fly more, this is incredible". I have been thinking of going into the military for some time but need to finish my bachelors degree.

coolyokeluke said:
I didn't imagine it was going to cost this much, take this long, and I'd make this little, at this point in my life. Still, I don't regret doing it.

Yeah, that's good to know. I'm just trying to make sure I know it's the right future path before I dump more and more money into it.

I'm just glad I don't have any debt from getting all my ratings up to now. Barring a higher degree of pilot saturation at the hiring levels, a lot more people could become pilots or at least attain ratings up to the CFI as a hobby without any further career aspirations. Unfortunately, flying is a very financially prohibited hobby. The entrance cost is high and to go any further than a Private gets extremely costly.

Long story short:

When I learned to fly I wanted to fly heavies across oceans and visit lots of different countries.

By 2004 I had qualified in every seat of the DC6 and was living in Fairbanks, Alaska flying groceries to the North Slope and literally hauling out their trash.

I had resigned myself to finishing my career in the bush.

On the advice of some friends I sent my resume to Atlas. Two weeks later I had an interview and they offered me the job the same day. Two weeks after that I'm in groundschool in MIA.

IRONICALLY (operative word) this is where I wanted to be but had essentially given up.

Moral of the story: Hell if I know. Good luck.

if 9/11 hadn't happend, id be in the left seat of some regional right now. Grad 12/01.....but as the way the markets turned, im a CPC in a tower now just hopping to get picked up in the busier facilities. Paper work is out, just the waiting game

Lrjtcaptain said:
if 9/11 hadn't happend, id be in the left seat of some regional right now. Grad 12/01.....but as the way the markets turned, im a CPC in a tower now just hopping to get picked up in the busier facilities. Paper work is out, just the waiting game

How do you like it compared to flying? It seems like a lot stress, but at the same time don't you get decent pay depending upon where you work, and retirement?

Thanks Big Duke, that was the kind of response I'm looking for. Out of curiousity, would you trade your position for anything else?

I went to an airshow a few weeks ago, and finally sat in a T-38, and I just thought to myself, "I need to fly more, this is incredible". I have been thinking of going into the military for some time but need to finish my bachelors degree.

I would not trade this for anything else. But getting here was not so pretty.

The whole thing is a gamble. The odds of making it are slim. I'm not blowing my horn here or anything of that sort, but here are some numbers (as best I recollect) to put things into perspective. I'm not special, and everyone else who sits in an airline seat faced similar odds along the way. Bear with me here.

I got my Comm/Inst in college while enlisted in the military (Air Guard). It took me three years of applying to Guard units for a pilot slot before my home state took me. I was competing with a couple dozen guys every year for ONE slot to go to UPT. That is typical for every state.

Next step was Flight Screening. Back then, us Guard guys had to go even though we all had PPL's or better. Out of about 24 in that class, I think three guys went home early. Not bad, but it was just 11 flights in T-41's with civilian instructors. And we were all pilots already.

At UPT, we started with 22 in my class. By the time we graduated a year later, only half of us were still there (some were washed back, but most were gone completely). It was one of the hardest years of my life, but also the most rewarding. We definitely had fun there, but you were never more than three flights from being back home on the ranch. That is how fast it happened if something went wrong. But, flying a Tweet or T-38 solo has rewards. Even then though, you had to take advantage of that time to practice. Especially in the -38, every minute had to count. But I digress.

So after the military came the airline. I applied for about 3 years at F9 before I finally got an interview. During that 3-year span, I flew freight (single-pilot in Metroliners) for usually six days a week. It was hard on my wife and kids to put it lightly. They were asleep when I left to go to work and were all asleep again by the time I got home.

Anyway, back to F9. By way of numbers, I interviewed with 5 other guys, and they hired 3 of us that day. I was told by HR later that in our larger group of interviewees, they had started with about 1500 resumes. They tossed out half of those and gave the rest closer scrutiny. Out of that 750, they interviewed 150 and hired 20.

All I can say is there must be someone looking out for me somewhere. I also left no stone unturned getting ready for each next step. Yes it is great now, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But the road to get here is anything but predictable.

Your mileage WILL vary. In my case, realizing I had no other talents, I had to be stubborn. ;)

PureMuscle said:
How do you like it compared to flying? It seems like a lot stress, but at the same time don't you get decent pay depending upon where you work, and retirement?

I like it, its fun, not as stressful as you would think. I don't see people in planes anymore, just big hunks of metal that fly :) j/k. Money is good, benefits are great, and Northern California is beautiful however not a day goes by i don't miss being in the air. I hear horror stories about the regionals but if i had so much money that I didn't need a career, id go up to KBIL and apply to bigsky :)

Big Duke Six said:
I would not trade this for anything else. But getting here was not so pretty.

The whole thing is a gamble. The odds of making it are slim. I'm not blowing my horn here or anything of that sort, but here are some numbers (as best I recollect) to put things into perspective. I'm not special, and everyone else who sits in an airline seat faced similar odds along the way. Bear with me here.

I got my Comm/Inst in college while enlisted in the military (Air Guard). It took me three years of applying to Guard units for a pilot slot before my home state took me. I was competing with a couple dozen guys every year for ONE slot to go to UPT. That is typical for every state.

Next step was Flight Screening. Back then, us Guard guys had to go even though we all had PPL's or better. Out of about 24 in that class, I think three guys went home early. Not bad, but it was just 11 flights in T-41's with civilian instructors. And we were all pilots already.

At UPT, we started with 22 in my class. By the time we graduated a year later, only half of us were still there (some were washed back, but most were gone completely). It was one of the hardest years of my life, but also the most rewarding. We definitely had fun there, but you were never more than three flights from being back home on the ranch. That is how fast it happened if something went wrong. But, flying a Tweet or T-38 solo has rewards. Even then though, you had to take advantage of that time to practice. Especially in the -38, every minute had to count. But I digress.

So after the military came the airline. I applied for about 3 years at F9 before I finally got an interview. During that 3-year span, I flew freight (single-pilot in Metroliners) for usually six days a week. It was hard on my wife and kids to put it lightly. They were asleep when I left to go to work and were all asleep again by the time I got home.

Anyway, back to F9. By way of numbers, I interviewed with 5 other guys, and they hired 3 of us that day. I was told by HR later that in our larger group of interviewees, they had started with about 1500 resumes. They tossed out half of those and gave the rest closer scrutiny. Out of that 750, they interviewed 150 and hired 20.

All I can say is there must be someone looking out for me somewhere. I also left no stone unturned getting ready for each next step. Yes it is great now, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But the road to get here is anything but predictable.

Your mileage WILL vary. In my case, realizing I had no other talents, I had to be stubborn. ;)

Yeah, someone is definitely looking out for you. Another thing I think of is family life. I don't have a wife and kids yet but what if I want them someday, even though some people thinks it's dumb to think of that stuff when it's not in front of them. I want to be able to provide for them, and atleast see them every once in a while. Then again, the selfish side of me comes out and says I don't even have a family yet so do what you want. I appreciate the reply, it helped me out a lot. Thanks

Latest resources

Back