Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many of you thought you'd be where you are now in your career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lrjtcaptain said:
I like it, its fun, not as stressful as you would think. I don't see people in planes anymore, just big hunks of metal that fly :) j/k. Money is good, benefits are great, and Northern California is beautiful however not a day goes by i don't miss being in the air. I hear horror stories about the regionals but if i had so much money that I didn't need a career, id go up to KBIL and apply to bigsky :)

What type of controller are you, and where? ATC was another option I thought of but I know there are age restrictions, being aceepted into the program, etc. I'm 22 so age shouldn't be too big of a deal, but then again I remember someone telling me the cutoff for ATC was 23 (maybe it was 25).

If you can give me a short summary of how you went about it that would be great. Thanks for everything.

Career Path

I wanted to dig ditches for a living and now I fly for a Regional Carrier. I'm embarassed to say my "Dream" is shattered.

Yeah, someone is definitely looking out for you.

So, you're saying I can't fly? j/k

I don't have a wife and kids yet but what if I want them someday, even though some people thinks it's dumb to think of that stuff when it's not in front of them. I want to be able to provide for them, and atleast see them every once in a while. Then again, the selfish side of me comes out and says I don't even have a family yet so do what you want. I appreciate the reply, it helped me out a lot. Thanks

My advice would be to head in the direction you want to go ASAP. If that is an airline, the sooner you get there and get a seniority number, the sooner you'll be established in a decent quality-of-life so you can have a family. It's best to have a greater degree of flexibility early on, because you don't know where you may end up along the way.

When I was hired by NWA in the fall of 1999 I expected to be a DC-9 Captain within 5 years. Five years later, I'm starting my fourth year of furlough and working outside aviation as a mechanical engineer.

This is not the career path I expected. I certainly would have settled in a warmer part of the country. But all things considered, life isn't bad outside aviation. Although I must miss it a little, I find myself drawn back to this board every month or two.

Jim in MSP

JimBo480 said:
When I was hired by NWA in the fall of 1999 I expected to be a DC-9 Captain within 5 years. Five years later, I'm starting my fourth year of furlough and working outside aviation as a mechanical engineer.

This is not the career path I expected. I certainly would have settled in a warmer part of the country. But all things considered, life isn't bad outside aviation. Although I must miss it a little, I find myself drawn back to this board every month or two.

Jim in MSP

I saw on your profile you have flown the F-16. Do you wish you would have stayed in the military, or did you see getting out a chance to do different things for the better?

JimBo480 said:

Jim in MSP

Very similar. When I was hired by USAir in 1989, they were saying you'll be a DC-9 captain in five years. Of course I didn't believe that, I thought more like 10 years. In the end they were right, I was a DC-9 captain five years later, it wasn't at USAirways though :erm: . .

Right now I consider that I'm well ahead in terms of seat position, but well behind in terms of monetary compensation.

TP

Ever since I knew what an airplane was, I wanted to be a fighter pilot. I didn't have the eyesight. So, in that respect, I didn't make it.

I was a captain at a major airline and now I'm flying a G550 all over the world. I haven't had job security for squat but, yes, I've done pretty well. I'm lucky and thankful.TC

P.S.--Too bad my resume looks a whole lot better than my bank account... :(

Good thread, people letting it all hang out.

I'm way ahead of where I thought I would be at 36. Some of it is luck, alot of it was good people teaching me how to fly, some genes ( My Dad took almost the exact path I did.), and some is skill (Trying not to toot my horn), but even with all I have I sometimes wish I would have done something different. Something like computer programing or being a charter yacht captain in the Virgin Islands. I know if I would have got into computers in the 80's I would be a very rich man and could be with my family every night as well as afford my own airplane to fly whenever I wanted to. Those thoughts come into my mind over the cold, dark Pacific after 10hrs in the air and away from home for the 15th night in a month, and I have it about as good as most pilots. If I was working for a commuter, away from home even more, and with an airline that may go under I think I would be as disgrunteled (sp?) as most of those guys seem and truly looking for a way out.
Flying is very, very fun and satisfying in spirts and I am truly happy, but it can be very hard work, frustrating in terms of both airborne issues and company problems, and extreamly stressful with regards to checkrides and emergencies.
I dunno, it is a love/not so much love relationship with me.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back