• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many of you had the nerve?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"And by that vote, the resolution in favor of saving the cat in the tree passes."

:cool:

Pilotman2105

Ahhhh, the cat in your avitar. NOW I get it;)

avbug said:
I suppose by that logic, then, I will get what I deserve if I get killed over a fire. After all, it's a dangerous environment, and I get paid to do it. I could refuse to fly over a fire, but I don't. Therefore, because I do it for money, anything that befalls me is my own fault, and I deserve it? Come on.

Avbug,

If you were flying fires in a Country in which you were not a resident, not welcome, not invited, not ordered to, and had in fact been asked by local authorites to leave, then no, I wouldn't have much sympathy for ya. I never said Mr. Berg deserved to be murdered. I only said I didn't have a great deal of sympathy for him.

TIS said:
How many of you had the nerve to watch and listen to the murder of Nick Berg last week? I

TIS

TIS, no I didn't watch the video. But that, in no way means that I don't know the difference between us and the terrorists. Just paying attention to the continued barbarism of the muslims over the last few decades tells me all I need to know. Going to the 9/11 tribute site and seeing video of people - living Americans- falling from the World Trade Center towers is all I need to know.

Other than that, I am in agreement with your post. When will the hand wringing, apologetic faction in this country come to realize that these people don't want to get along with us. They want us dead.

Avbug, I can't agree with your stand on prisoner treatment. I'd never take the barstards prisoner to begin with.

One more thing, the Bible says that the world is going to he11 in a handbasket, so the current events are really not surprising.

Another one more thing: Since when are guerrillas/un-uniformed terrorists to be treated the same as uniformed soldiers under the Geneva Convention?

The last "one more thing" guerrilla warfare won't stop until those who harbor said guerrillas are eliminated; or fear us more than they fear the guerrillas/terrorists.
Let's get with the program or get out.

enigma

Re: flyifrvfr

jarhead said:
The media that first received the video of Nick Berg’s murder was Al Jeezera. Once the genie is out of the bottle, you can’t put it back in. We live in an electronic and digital age, and there is no turning back from that reality. Once Al-Jeezera released the video of the murder, it was all over the world, in every electronic and print media.

I disagree with your assertion that you “blame the media and the five cowards for Nick Berg’s execution.” The five cowards are to blame…..the media murdered nobody.

I think you misunderstood me jarhead. I know how the video of the murder got out, but I don't know how the photos from the prison got out. Al-jeezera video taped the murder and released it for propaganda. The leak I'm talking about, is how did the media get thier hands on the prison photos? We are at war,and you would think photos like these would be classified. Since the media got thier hands on the prison photos and they knew that airing them would cause a stink, how could they not be held responsible for the reaction of the enemy to these photos.

Again, as I said, they use the photos as an excuse, but I know that they don't need an excuse. They are fanatical about a religon that demands death to "Non-Believers of Islam". Well, I say screw them, and allah.

The U.S. Military arrested two Reuters journalists and an NBC journalist on January 2nd and accused them of participating in attacks on Americans. They were released on January 5th and alleged that they were abused during detention in manners similar to those reported at Abu Graib.
Reuters and NBC filed complaints with the military and those complaints were subsequently rebuffed without any military investigators contacting or interviewing the detainees in question. Was that a thorough investigation? The following link from editors and publishers relates the timeline of this story. This story was known in the media well before the Abu Graib story was widely made public. One could make the argument that had we addressed this adequately, that perhaps the media would not have felt the need to raise additional allegations.
Link.

Possibly. Or one could simply make the arguement that these whining individuals where fishing for a story, and should have kept their sorry butts out of Iraq in the first place. Because someone trips and falls in a store doesn't mean that the store is dangerous, even if they win a lawsuit and make lots of money. Neither does something become true simply because a reporter alleges it.

Current events with respect to the so-called prison scandal have no relation to the incidents you describe. You think perhaps they just sat on the story for five months before acting?

If you were flying fires in a Country in which you were not a resident, not welcome, not invited, not ordered to, and had in fact been asked by local authorites to leave, then no, I wouldn't have much sympathy for ya. I never said Mr. Berg deserved to be murdered. I only said I didn't have a great deal of sympathy for him.

Ah, anybody who volunteers in a dangerous situation has it coming, then. I guess those who have paid the price spraying certain crops in Colombia deserve it then, too? Nobody is doing this for charity; the pay is good. It's a vital action that has direct impact on the "war on terrorism," but it's also high risk. It involves flying in locations where hostile forces dwell, who regularly direct fire at spray aircraft, and who have made it clear that spray aircraft are not welcome. It's called harms way. Some scenes are never safe, and being there and becoming a victim to the circumstances that be do not mean that one has got what one deserves.

As a firefighter on the ground, in the past I've entered burning structures to conduct a search, or carrying an attack line to extinguish a blaze. I have not been ordered into the building. When serving on a volunteer department, I had no obligation to show up for the fire at all. I've repelled down a cliff to recover someone on a stokes litterl, and sat inside a vehicle with Jaws and extrication tools to get them out, in hazardous situations. Nobody made me go there, and in some cases I was paid, others I strictly volunteered to be there. While you may not care if anything happened to me while in there, my family did, and those trapped in the vehicle or the structure were most certainly grateful that someone was there to come assist.

More importantly, I wasn't alone. None of us "deserved" to get burned, blown apart, cut, or to fall to our deaths. Every year it happens. Every year a fire fighter gets killed when a rubberneck motorist hits them as they're extricating an accident victim, or when an overdose patient clubs them or bits or shoots them. Do any of us deserve it? I don't think so, and that applies weather professional or volunteer.

We have an all volunteer military. Nobody was compelled to join, to participate. Many of the occupational specialties, such as special warefare positions, are highly competitive. People fight for, and earn these positions. Sometimes at the cost of a great deal of sweat and blood and pain. Mr. Pat Tillman did none the less. One might argue that any of these volunteers deserves what they get; I cannot disagree strongly enough.

I have read of heroic moments where a vehicle or a structure was on fire, and a little girl trapped. A participant or a firefighter held the little girls hand throughout the ordeal, knowing that it likely meant death. Does that mean that the participant or firefighter deserves what he or she gets? No. It means that that person is going beyond his or her self-worth to serve another. It's the true definition of being Christian, or Christ-like. Or true to one's beliefs. Or just a good person. Or whatever you want to call it.

Perhaps one might say that a black man in Alabama who gets lynched deserves what he gets? I think the idiocy of that statement is clear, but never the less it does match your definition. Someone who is warned by the locals to clear out, who may not be wanted there, who...pick your poison. No, there's no justification to suggesting that Nick Berg "had it coming" or that he deserved what he got. It was barbaric and wrong, no matter how you slice it. No crayon is big enough or bright enough to color it right.

I don't personally care that Mr. Berg was of Jewish descent, or what his reasons were for entering the country. The only path for those who did what they did is death. There is no other course. You would crush an ant that bites you, or exterminate a colony that infests your sugar bowl. But what of a critter that slices the throats of your countrymen and vows to do it to you, too, who swears an unholy oath of vengence on you and your children, and your children's children, who seeks to take your freedom and your life? How much more does such an one deserve to die?

It wasn't Nick Berg that deserved what he got, but those that did the deed. It's a dry country. Kill them. Blood makes the grass grow.

Avbug,

I was very careful in how I worded my reply. You wish to start a pissin contest over thoughts I never expressed. Apparently you're a mind reader too. Very well, throw spitballs all you want.

No desire to start a "pissin" contest; I understand quite well that you indicated that you do not feel sympathy for this individual under the circumstances you described. You have that right.

Concurrently, I have the right to add my own viewpoints on the matter, as I have done.

Spitballs and assembly, not required.

Latest resources

Back