How many is too many?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Bucho

So reading that article about the faaaaabulous flight depart this month in Pro Pilot, one of the pilots there says he's flying the Lear 35, 604, and GIV. I'm thinking that there is probably a reason why for part 135 they will only let you use two type ratings. We do recurrent every 6 months, and alternate between airframes, so basically you are still only 12 months at the most between recurrent classes on one type. Can you imagine going to recurrent for 3 airplanes? Part 91 would certainly be easier, but still....anyway, was just thinking. Going to have to stop doing that....

EB

Last edited:
Part 135 has no such restriction. I've been current in three types before, although for the last few years it's only been two. You can be a check airman in only two types at the same time, so maybe that is what you are thinking of.

I've flown with guys who are perfectly capable in three or more types, and I've flown with guys who were marginal in one type. As a general rule, two types seems to work pretty well, but there are always exceptions.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I am current in three types right now. I don't ever fly one of them, so it's not an issue, but I'm still 135 current (except for landing currency).

El Bucho said:
So reading that article about the faaaaabulous flight depart this month in Pro Pilot, one of the pilots there says he's flying the Lear 35, 604, and GIV. I'm thinking that there is probably a reason why for part 135 they will only let you use two type ratings. We do recurrent every 6 months, and alternate between airframes, so basically you are still only 12 months at the most between recurrent classes on one type. Can you imagine going to recurrent for 3 airplanes? Part 91 would certainly be easier, but still....anyway, was just thinking. Going to have to stop doing that....

EB

When I was flying 135 I was PIC Qualified and current on the following all at the same time:

Falcon 20C
Falcon 20F
Falcon 10
Lear 35
Lear 35a
King Air 100
King Air A100
Cessna 414

Falcon Capt said:
When I was flying 135 I was PIC Qualified and current on the following all at the same time:

Falcon 20C
Falcon 20F
Falcon 10
Lear 35
Lear 35a
King Air 100
King Air A100
Cessna 414

Yea, but you are clearly what we would call, "The Man!" :D

I read some of NBAA's safety manual reference materials. It seems they recommend crews be current on no more than two types. I think ARG/US' "best industry practices" guidelines also refer to two types max.

I'm current in the 501, & 550 135, but that's really only one type. I also fly a 560 part 91 only.

I read that article and had the same reaction. Sounded like a real owner-slave job. I don't think many fortune 500 companies would do this. It's just too many numbers and systems to stay current and safe.

cezzna said:
I read that article and had the same reaction. Sounded like a real owner-slave job. I don't think many fortune 500 companies would do this. It's just too many numbers and systems to stay current and safe.
We limit our guys to 2 types (50 & 900 are considered one type)...

Latest resources

Back