Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many Delta Pilots thinking of leaving?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Resume Writer said:
I can tell you that in the last week, I have had three pilots, two mx techs and one flight attendant from DAL wanting to get their resumes done and do interview prep to help them get out of the company.

Their chief concern was what would happen to workrules, pay, and job stability. The flight attendant told me that they (the company) were already doing things to cut back on money, such as per diem decreases. Since I am not at DAL, I really do not know the truth as to what she told me.

Kathy

Kathy,

That is correct. The per diem rates will go from $2.10 to $1.80 for domestic, and down to $2.05 for INTL. For the stews, the workrules are nonexistant. For us, there will be some changes, but the major thing happening here is that we have had 2500 pliots retire (mostly early) within the last 15 months. 2500. No other airline has ever had that many voluntarily retire (obviously if an airline liquidates then everyone "retires" from that airline) within that amount of time. We normally have about 125 age 60 retirements in one year. We have had more leave in about 1 year (due to the 1/2 pension lump sum payout) than most regional pilots have pilots period.

Yes, the pay rates will go down, and there will be some workrule changes. Vacation will be less, and reserve will be tougher. That is what happens when your airline goes bankrupt. It suks, but it can be overcome eventually, hopefully. I think there will be a merger eventually, and then it really will get interesting.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sky Cowboy,

Well, I understand your anger. And, if you want to leave, then you should. This industry has changed, and if you were in it for the money, then you won't be happy. I enjoy the job, but I too like getting paid well. There are always cycles in business, and we are in a really bad cycle currently. If I thought this was it I would probably bail too, but I think something may come out of this. Maybe a merger, with a better management team. Maybe I will become a Captain faster thanks to the 2500 retirements. I really don't know.

As far as Grinstein and what he said to you, I don't think he really understands what goes on in manning equations. He is more concerned with keeping this thing going. D.W. knows a lot more about the manning because he is incharge of it. So does Kolshack. Grinstein might think DALPA would sell out the junior people with the PRP program staying, but they just handed out more pink slips to current PRPs. And, how many of them will stick around during the holidays? A lot of them quit last year at that time because they hadn't been on reserve flying the holidays in years. And, if we do furlough, I bet most (most) will quit.

I think the thing you are overlooking is the mass retirement numbers. That 2500 number is incredible. Think about what would have happened had those people not left? Look at NW---nobody has left there, and they will have to furlough. With super high oil and old airplanes that guzzle gas, it will be tough to remarket our old birds. The lessors will either play ball or park our planes making squat in Mohave.

Sure, I try to be a "glass half full" type of guy, and I think we have a good chance of little or NO furloughs. I am hoping for NO furloughs. The stews got hit with a lot, but that again is because nobody has left or retired over there. We shall see I guess, and I wish you luck in your next career.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Just got off a deadhead on mainline Delta...all male flight attendants.

Still "Sexy Stews????" You sure you havn't seen "honolulu hookers"????

Mookie

Mookie said:
Just got off a deadhead on mainline Delta...all male flight attendants.

Still "Sexy Stews????" You sure you havn't seen "honolulu hookers"????

Mookie

Did you get any phone numbers?

Bye Bye--General Lee

nah...I figured you already "knew" them...

peace out, I'm off to get some prime rib.

Mookie

General,

The company proposal to us actually puts our perdiem LOWER than the flight attendants' perdiem.

Nice eh?

-PF

Pat,

I know it was lower, but I don't know what their proposal had. It is like the wild wild west over there, no rules. I know there was a 10% or a 9% pay cut for them, and their lady incharge told them, "You will work a lot harder, for less money...." Sounds like it could scare a bunch of them off, eh? Take care.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back