How many approaches for a IPC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

For a IPC some instructors and I were arguing that you only have to do 2 approaches on a IPC and not 3. One precision and a non-precision. The pts says that you must do the area's of operation listed in the PTS however for the checkride there is *note* mentioning that you must do two non-precision approaches. Anybody have a clue?

Instrument PTS

Instrument PTS said:
VI. INSTRUMENT APPROACH PROCEDURES / All

A. TASK: NONPRECISION APPROACH (NPA)
REFERENCES: 14 CFR parts 61, 91; FAA-H-8083-15; IAP; AIM.
NOTE: The applicant must accomplish at least two nonprecision approaches (one of which must include a procedure turn or, in the case of an RNAV approach, a Terminal Arrival Area (TAA) procedure) in simulated or actual weather conditions.

B. TASK: PRECISION APPROACH (PA)
REFERENCES: 14 CFR parts 61, 91; FAA-H-8083-15; IAP; AIM.
NOTE: A precision approach, utilizing aircraft NAVAID equipment for centerline and vertical guidance, must be accomplished in simulated or actual instrument conditions to DA/DH.

Thus 2 non-precision and 1 precision approach is required for a total minimum of 3.

Look at the front of the Instrument PTS. It will tell you EXACTLY what you need to accomplish for an IPC.

An IPC is DIFFERENT than an instrument ride or 6 month currency check in terms of tasks performed.

At least 6 in my book with training to proficiency.
I've had people walk out on me for saying it, but who cares;
I am not going to sign anybody off on an IPC with only a couple of approaches.
Remember now, you don't (legally) need an IPC if you either remain current in a 6 month period or after that fly with a buddy for 6 approaches in the next 6 months. So they haven't had the time or didn't bother to do anything for a year.
So you're gonna get an oral as per Instrument PTS and at least 6 approaches.

As a CFI/CFII you have the right to request (demand) that they fly by your standards before you sign anything.

Latest resources

Back