• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Many Abx DC9 will go away?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why does the flight dept. web page have a link on "How to set a price for your home"?

j/k :D I needed a laugh.

How many DC 9's will be parked?//

Our person in the company who works with DHL in aircraft utilization and planning(?) says that they may park up to 7 more DC-9's this year...but with the USA review and DHL's upcoming decision on their future plans, it is just speculation.

I talked to a higher up in standards last week (this person knows whats going on with a/c) and he told me that DHL advised ABX last fall that up to 10 DC9's will be release from service in the 2nd quarter of 08...That said, he also told me that DHL had told ABX this sort of stuff before and it never happened...So there are waiting to see if it really happens...We currently have 5 DC9's parked in CVG with another one to be parked this month...He did not know if the one going to CVG this month would be replaced with one already in CGV, nor did he know if the 10 aircraft to be released include the up to 6 a/c that will be in CVG...If 10 additional are parked it would equate to a 20% reduction in DC9 flying...

I talked to a higher up in standards last week (this person knows whats going on with a/c) and he told me that DHL advised ABX last fall that up to 10 DC9's will be release from service in the 2nd quarter of 08...That said, he also told me that DHL had told ABX this sort of stuff before and it never happened...So there are waiting to see if it really happens...We currently have 5 DC9's parked in CVG with another one to be parked this month...He did not know if the one going to CVG this month would be replaced with one already in CGV, nor did he know if the 10 aircraft to be released include the up to 6 a/c that will be in CVG...If 10 additional are parked it would equate to a 20% reduction in DC9 flying...

Thanks that clears everything up!

The rumor of 10 9's has been around a couple of months. Back then they were to be parked in Jan. Remember?

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=106743

The 1/3 reduction in flying rumor was to be in JAN as well. Will they come? Who knows and who cares any longer? Really? This sword of Damocles dangling over the heads of ABX is crap. There is nothing any of us can do about it but do the best we can to make sure DHL does not lose any customers due to us. Do they want us to live in fear forever? Because thats how long it could be since DHL never ran a profitable business in CVG. And if they think cutting service areas is the answer to become profitable we should be drawing straws to pick who will be the one to turn out the lights. Who knows what will happen now that Dr.Z is out. I heard rumors this thing has close to 1000 people involved. So we may see more higher ups depart.

Now, about that reduction in service areas, I know that there is FL "consolidation" coming. But nothing that would require 10 DC-9's to be parked. The only way they will be able to "consolidate" more would be to destroy their market even further.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back