• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How long will regional hiring continue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, first thing you're gonna have to do bud is not listen to comments like these that tell you that you need to go somewhere where you are going to upgrade fast! Why? I'll tell you why....
#1 Upgrade today might be 2 years, it might be 8 years by friday.
#2 You have such low time that if you got on at a regional within the next couple of months you might not have enough time OR ESPECIALLY experience to upgrade.
#3 Just because you've been an FO for a few years does not mean that you will upgrade. You might get the Upgrade slot, and begin training, but who's to say that you wont bust your checkride. Yes Yes Yes, I know you can fly and by that time you SHOULD be familiar with how things are done at the company. But, I've know guys that have been FO's for 7 years then they do their CAPT checkride and fail.
Could they fly? Hell yeah! Great pilots, but for some reason they were just having a bad day.

Everyone keeps trying to play the "Quick upgrade, get 1000PICJet and On to a Major" Game, when clearly times have change and you need to go somewhere where you wont have to commute, pay is liveable while you're in the right seat, and where at some point if everything goes smoothly you will upgrade. Dont do what some people do and try to rush their careers. That's why so many training places (Gulfstream, Jet University, ETC.) keep getting rich, b/c people keep trying to get ahead by buying their "experience". I can tell you know, no money will replace experience.

One of the more insightful posts I've seen recently. The seldom discussed training aspects of this career.

The upgrade is a long way from being a given...to be brutally honest, so is the initial. I, for one, would have little desire to come a "regional" with limited experience. Inability to make it through initial training could be a career ender right off the bat. I often see my airline mentioned on here as having a great training department...but I can assure you, many of us see that and roll our eyes. Most guys just don't seem to talk much about the horrible experiences they've had. This stuff is extremely challenging for even very experienced pilots let alone 500 hour wonders. At this carrier most of those upgrading currently are close to 5 year longevity, so everyone is a seasoned aviator. The two most recent upgrade classes have had five of twenty fail the oral, one the retake. To my understanding that constitutes a type bust. These guys still have the ride ahead of them...no pressure. I have several friends at a non-union carrier. It's very interesting to hear their stories of the "up or out" policies of that airline. While this probably sounds quite negative, it's the reality more of us, particularly low experience pilots should consider.

One of the more insightful posts I've seen recently. The seldom discussed training aspects of this career.

The upgrade is a long way from being a given...to be brutally honest, so is the initial. I, for one, would have little desire to come a "regional" with limited experience. Inability to make it through initial training could be a career ender right off the bat. I often see my airline mentioned on here as having a great training department...but I can assure you, many of us see that and roll our eyes. Most guys just don't seem to talk much about the horrible experiences they've had. This stuff is extremely challenging for even very experienced pilots let alone 500 hour wonders. At this carrier most of those upgrading currently are close to 5 year longevity, so everyone is a seasoned aviator. The two most recent upgrade classes have had five of twenty fail the oral, one the retake. To my understanding that constitutes a type bust. These guys still have the ride ahead of them...no pressure. I have several friends at a non-union carrier. It's very interesting to hear their stories of the "up or out" policies of that airline. While this probably sounds quite negative, it's the reality more of us, particularly low experience pilots should consider.

Very well said. At this point (400 hours) You shouldn't concern yourself with upgrading. You should concern yourself with getting as much real world experience as you can and I dont mean babysitting someone while they do a lazy eight. I just passed my checkride at my regional, I have 3300 hour total, lots of turboprop and Jet, and a jet type and I still found training kinda challenging and it was still like drinking out of a firehose!
During my training period I saw lots of busts, not only from New Hires but from 6 to 7 year upgrades. Like I said, dont think that just b/c you've been somewhere for almost a decade it automatically means that you have what it takes to be a captain. Good luck my friend, I'm sure you will make the right decision at some point and try not to listen or pay attention to some of the "fast track" idiotic advise that some people give here.

Latest resources

Back