How long til runway re-opens in LAS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flybigsky

Soooooo, how long til the runway reopens in LAS? Anyone heard? I've been told it should open again in early December and I also heard it would be sometime early 2009.

The airport authority sent a letter to all the airlines that said it should be open in May of 2009. 6 months of delays. Arrgh!

Las Vegas McCarran International Airport

Runway 25L/07R Construction Project Information

Runway 25L/07R at Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS) is scheduled to be closed from November 1, 2008 until May 1, 2009 for construction. The runway closure is expected to have a major impact on arrival and departure rates resulting in likely delays in and out of the airport during construction.
Use of traffic management initiatives such has ground delay programs (GDP), ground stops (GS) and miles-in-trail (MIT) are expected due to the reduced arrival/departure rates. Flights will receive EDCT’s when ground delay programs are in place.
Nearby alternate airports include Henderson Executive (HND) and North Las Vegas (VGT). Both have modern facilities and reliable ground transportation options. It is highly likely that you can reduce your delay into the Las Vegas area by utilizing one of these alternate airports. Learn more here.
Actual arrival and departure rates will be based on which runway configuration LAS is using. The following is a breakdown of the different runway configurations that will be used during the 25L/07R closure, along with the expected delays associated with each configuration:
LAS Runway Configurations During the Construction Period
NOTE: Configuration 2 will be the preferred runway configuration and will be used if wind/weather conditions permit.
Configuration 1
Land on 19R – Depart on 25R
Arrival rates 32 to 36
Departure rate 32 to 38
Departure and arrival delays expected to exceed 90 minutes during peak hours
Configuration 2 (preferred configuration if winds permit)
Land on 01L and 01R – Depart on 7L
Arrival Rates 44 to 48
Departure rate 60
Configuration 3
Land on 1L – Depart on 1R
Variable arrival and departure rates between 32–48 based upon arrival and departure demand
Departure and arrival delays of 60 minutes expected during compacted periods
Configuration 4
Land and depart on 7L (single runway operation)
They do not plan on using this configuration unless absolutely necessary as delays would exceed 120 minutes.
(There is no Configuration 5)
Configuration 6
Land 19R – Depart 7L
Arrival rates 32 – 36
Departure rates 32 – 38
Departure and arrival delays expected to exceed 90 minutes during peak hours

I'm in/out of there all the time as I'm sure you and most of us are. I was there 4 times last week. Added up to about 1:30 in delays and 2 go arounds.....all in good weather. WHAT A PAIN IN THE A$$!!

My experience at LAS:

Add a buffer of a month or two with anything they say. I have never in my life seen an airport that takes so long to finish a project.

ORD takes out cement around gates and replaces it withing 4 to 6 weeks, LAS 3 to 4 months.

The bridge in LAS connecting Terminal B to C has taken years, ORD was built runways in less time than that, and DTW built a whole new terminal in that time.

I only hope that the 25L closure only last till May, but I have my doubts based on past experience.

In the spirit of it being Vegas, does anyone want to place a few bets on when this will be completed?

My experience at LAS:

Add a buffer of a month or two with anything they say. I have never in my life seen an airport that takes so long to finish a project.

ORD takes out cement around gates and replaces it withing 4 to 6 weeks, LAS 3 to 4 months.

The bridge in LAS connecting Terminal B to C has taken years, ORD was built runways in less time than that, and DTW built a whole new terminal in that time.

I only hope that the 25L closure only last till May, but I have my doubts based on past experience.

Absolutely correct. LAS could get this done in two months, but they don't want to pay the additional $ to have crews work around the clock resurfacing the runway.
Instead, they are taking the cheap way out, taking their time, and costing the airlines they serve millions in delays and fuel costs, all while pissing off thousands of delayed passengers.

Latest resources

Back