• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How long should you keep flying in 152?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well that's somewhat good news. It's hard these days to find rental RG's. I had to use a T210 for mine!

the way I understand it is the Baron will be considered Heavy due to total HP being more than 500 (300 a side) AND rearward facing passenger seats AND ability to fly above 10K

I think if all PAX seats are loaded AND above 10K is flight planned, two pilots are going to be required

What constitutes a heavy twin. Is it the Baron or 310?

On the first flight of my line training as a new hire, we were told by ground to hold, then turn onto a taxiway behind a 757 and follow it to the runway.

"Roger," said the captain. "Follow the light twin."

We were in a B747.

I found it amusing. It's all relative, but then, who cares? The hardest part of flying is paying for it. If one can get the initial training done in a 152, then do it. If one can manage it in a 310, then do that.

I learned to fly in a J-3 cub.

Do as much as you can in the 152 to keep the cost down. You should def do all of your pvt in the 152. If the 152 you have can do IFR then do your instrument in the 152. Do all of the cross country time needed for any rating in a 152. When going for your commercial go ahead and get the basic concepts of the new maneuvers down in the 152 first then practice those in the RG to fine tune it for the checkride. Get your CFI in the 152. If able get your CFII in the 152. Use the money you make from CFIing to pay for you multi and MEI.

Only use the bigger planes when you absolutely have to. You may have to use a 172 for the IFR stuff since most 152s are VFR only. Also it is nice to get used to different equipment found in the planes so a 172 with a IFR GPS would be nice to know how to use. Sometimes you feel like going places and taking more than one other person. I also advise that you get checked out in a few different planes. That way you can get a well rounded idea of whats out there in GA land. For the most part GA planes fly basically the same, but there are minor differences. Its been years since I learned to fly but I do know in the early days I liked Cessnas more than Pipers...I can't remember the exact reason though...

Anyways sorry for the long rant. Do as much stuff as you can in the 152 to save money. Go ahead and get checked out in the other stuff the FBO has. The main reasons to get checked out in other stuff is so that you have a more well rounded idea of flying. If the 152 goes down for mx and you still feel like flying you can fly one of the other types. If you get bored with the 152 and just want to change it up a bit so you won't lose your motivation.

On the first flight of my line training as a new hire, we were told by ground to hold, then turn onto a taxiway behind a 757 and follow it to the runway.

"Roger," said the captain. "Follow the light twin."

We were in a B747.

I once flew with a guy who insisted on calling Citations "the Cessna product" on the radio. Irratated more than a few X drivers!

If the 152 is IFR certified (don't forget that includes altimeter, pitot static system and transponder), you could fly everything in it up to your commercial. Since RG rentals are hard to find and expensive, you might consider doing your initial commercial in a light twin. (Ten of the 20 hours for that could still be done in the 152.) The single commercial add-on can then be completed without a complex single.

Of course, you could just stick with the private single unless you plan to flight instruct or fly a Caravan.

1200 hours, then get COMM/MEL/INST and you are in line for 135 IFR PIC, The hiring boom is coming and there will be lots of those jobs.

Latest resources

Back