• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How long should I wait?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I have applied for a pilot position with a local corporation. I received a call from HRO stating I was one of the top candidates and I should expect to get a call from the chief pilot within a couple days. It has been almost two weeks and no call. I did make a follow up call one week after our conversation but got an answering machine. I left a message stating I was just following up on the previous call and asked if there was anything else I could provide them to help them with their decision making process. That was 5 days ago and still nothing.

I talked to someone today who stated he did not think they have hired anyone yet. I was wondering if you think I should try to contact them or let it be and work it's course? Is this a polite way to tell me they are looking elsewhere? I don't want to be a pest but I want them to know I am very interested in the position.

There was not a contact number posted in the advertisement and the application was completed online. I have above and beyond the qualifications they are looking for. What do you think?

BTW, I got the number off my caller ID when they called me. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

i would call and ask for the chief pilot, tell him youre following up on a previous call 2 weeks ago, and your taking the initiative and checking back because youre very interested in the position. the chief pilot might have been on the road,sick,etc. i dont think youre being a pest. if they told you to expect a call and you didnt get it, call them. thats my 2cents. good luck

Tis the season

It seems like this time of year everything in corporate flight ops winds down and nothing is of great importance. I would follow up with and e mail.

Now for the flame bait that will soon come my way.

PRAY yes pray about it, if that is where you need to be, that is what will happen, if not there may lie a better opportunity just around the corner. It is not in your control, I have a hard time remembering this my self.

hawk

I have a little bit of recent experience with this.....in my case it was that the C.P. was waiting on corporate to 'bless' certain applicants and the H.R. people were taking their time(like crazy) because I guess that's just how large corporations do things. The process for me took months. I had essentially given up on the job but then I got it. And it's one of those jobs that I always hoped to have.

I would do some regular phone calling and just make it plain that you want the job(but no more than once a week, tops). Also, don't quit looking in other places just in case......a bird in the hand and all that. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I appreciate them all.

Hawker, AMEN! I would never flame you for believing. I do to. I have prayed about it, and you may be right but I am not giving up until I know for sure.

Initially I did not post reference letters. They never asked for them and I did post numbers and names of previous supervisors in the event they wanted to talk to them. Today, I decided to just post as many letters of reference as the site would allow. I am hoping I will hear something by this week.

My concern with calling or e-mailing is there was not a number or e-mail given on the job posting. I have the phone number because of caller ID. I am a bit concerned I may be perceived as 'crossing the line' if I use the phone number again. I am leaning towards calling again and will probably call the chief pilot when my instinct tells me it is the thing to do. Right now, I just don't know for sure which way to go.

Thanks again everyone.

I had a similar experience to svcta's with a corporation. I had the formal interview with the aviation manager at the company hangar in October. I thought it went well and I was qualified for the job. I heard nothing for six weeks until I couldn't stand it any more and called the manager. He explained that there had been a hiring freeze due to the lack of understanding regarding flight dept. needs on the part of the bean counters, and insisted that they were still interested in hiring me. I was finally hired in April after all of that. I had pretty much given up hope.

I see nothing intrusive about a polite phone call. As already mentioned, everybody's flight dept. is crazy busy this time of year. Chief pilots are flying those extra holiday ski trips and working on end-of-the-year paperwork. Hiring decisions get pushed aside. I'm interviewing again and I've been told by a couple of HR people that everything is running behind. One fractional HR person called and told me that they're just starting to call folks from applications that they received in October.

Good luck with your 91 gig!

Latest resources

Back