Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Every promise of new employment is met internally with "What will I do when I get recalled" When will this counter-productive, overly loyal, warped thought process come to an end? I'm making progress towards an offer many would kill for, but still the same conflicted hesitance.

It's idiotic to let such idealism interfere with the motivation necessary to get the next job, I know. How long did it take y'all to leave the past behind?

It doesn't go away until you have the recall letter in hand i'm afraid. And even now, a year after the final recall letter came...I can't help but to wonder, "What if I had gone back?"

I miss it sometimes.

After being furloughed more times than I care to count, treat that job like your never going to get recalled. It takes a couple of months to get over the fact that you have been furloughed and dont blame yourself for the furlough. Your attitude will proabably be in the dumps for a while and it will be an emotional rollercoaster when you are job hunting and finally getting interviews. I think the job market overseas will open up a littlem more this fall but as far as the US market, I think its gonna be a while.
I don't think you ever really leave the past behind. Every so often you have those shoulda, coulda, woulda thoughts.
Happy Hunting

Look at every aviation job as temporary employment and you'll live longer. TC

Move On as if...

I have to agree with Thedude. After a couple of furloughs, I'd recommend you move on as if that job will never come back. If it does, then you will have another decision to make. If it doesn't, then you are better off sooner. I did "temporary" jobs while obtaining another "permanent" job. In the end, I went back because it was what was best for me and my family at the time. There were no hard feelings (other than still being p1ssed off at the furlough in the first place). Good luck.

Cardinal - consider this: will your current company ever be in a position to recall you? I certainly hope so but one never knows. In the end, aviation is a business and you have to treat it that way. Do what is best for you and your family so if the job that you mentioned comes through, take it and never look back. Plus, there's no reason to be thinking about recall until it actually becomes a real, solid offer.

Good luck to you. I hope the new job beats slogging a 1900 back and forth between DEN and those hotspots in NE, WY and KS.

It took me two years to realize that I wasn’t going to be recalled “within 4-6 months”, which is what a chief pilot told me on the way out the door.

After that I started looking for a long term job, finally landed one and started working hard to move up within the company; but I just knew I would return when the recall happened.

When the recall finally came five years into my furlough I had been promoted several times, had a corner office and was making more than I could as a first officer. I’m home every night, can take time off with a few minutes notice and I feed my flying fix in a super decathlon at a club I joined.

I don’t miss the industry, but I do miss some of the people and still find myself drawn to these web sites once or twice a month.

Good luck,

Every promise of new employment is met internally with "What will I do when I get recalled" When will this counter-productive, overly loyal, warped thought process come to an end? I'm making progress towards an offer many would kill for, but still the same conflicted hesitance.

It's idiotic to let such idealism interfere with the motivation necessary to get the next job, I know. How long did it take y'all to leave the past behind?

Is it a better job? Does it have the same chances of lasting as long as the one you are furloughed from? Make a solid decision based on what you think is RIGHT, go for the better job, resign your seniority number and move forward. End of conflict!

I think the more important question you need to ask is: why is your company furloughing you in the first place? Is there something fundamentally wrong with your company? or is it low tides sink all boats? In the end, airlines are big machines that rarely able to turn around. Having been furloughed twice and shut down twice, I learn to dig deep and really see what a company IS all about, NOT what I want it to become or should become.

Then, you will answer the question if you should keep that sparks of hope or just move on.

Latest resources

Back