Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How long did wisdom teeth removal keep you out?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

relief tube

How many days did the surgery keep you out? (not able to work/travel/fly/enjoy life)
Would post a poll but I'm too dumb to know how to do that.

Getting my wisdom teeth pulled 7 days before going on a european vacation, and as the date nears, am getting nervous about if I have complications, my vacation getting snubbed.

I'm 25, am getting all 4 removed, their impacted and have small cavities on them. Am getting the IV sedation. Don't know if all that changes your recommendation.

Thanks for any help.

Oh man! I feel for you! Some people seem to have an easy time with their wisdom teeth. Like yours, however, mine were impacted. Dr. Frankenstein cracked my nasal cavity in the process, and after the blood & gunk oozed up there and spent a few days rotting, I ended up with an extremely smelly sinus infection for 2 months, literally.

Best of luck!

Had all four of mine taken out right after I got out of Marine Corps boot camp when I was 20, that squid doc reached in with a pair of channel locks and got'em all out in 5 minutes, jaw was numb for a couple of hours but I was fine other than that.

Mine were not impacted and the whole thing wasn't that bad except for the huge needle the doc used for the 4 shots to numb my jaw.

falcon20driver said:
Had all four of mine taken out right after I got out of Marine Corps boot camp when I was 20, that squid doc reached in with a pair of channel locks and got'em all out in 5 minutes, jaw was numb for a couple of hours but I was fine other than that.

Mine were not impacted and the whole thing wasn't that bad except for the huge needle the doc used for the 4 shots to numb my jaw.

Had to respond when I seen this. I had mine taken out in Marine Corps boot camp. Three were impacted and in the infinite Navy wisdom they left one in. You know, for good luck. :rolleyes: It's still with me today.

We didn't have much choice in the matter, the DI's didn't consider it a "light duty" sort of procedure so those of us who had it done went right back into training. In fact, the very next day I found myself in one of those tiny boxing rings doing the Marine Corps version of boxing. (Close combat training I think they called it.) What was it they said in "Fight Club"? "You can swallow a pint of blood before you get sick." :)

I had all four taken out at once. mine were AFU'd. The worse part of it was getting food stuck down in the four new holes, and having to syringe them with water to get the food out. Painful stuff!

i was 24 & had my top 2 taken out while in the navy stationed @ miramar. the doc was a commander in his late 40s and played Metallica while using the channel locks to pull them out. the whole procedure took only 10 mins. most of that was for numbing and clean up. ate sub sandwich later that night. best case senario though. hopefully your doc knows of your plans and can plan the procedure accordingly. good luck

Mine were impaceted, which i think means the roots were all tangled. Instead of pulling 4 teeth, they had to cut them up and take them out. I saw them after the surgery and there were about 15 pieces.

I was out for about a week.

I wouldn't try to rush your recovery though, I made that mistake, tried to go into work after 5 days or so, had to go home sick.

About a week before this past Christmas I had all four wisdom teeth removed. They weren't impacted yet but if I waited another year or so they would be. Thankfully, the surgery went fine. I went with the IV sedation and it knocked me out cold (just make sure you have somone to drive you home). For about 5 hours afterwards I was bleeding into cotton balls in my mouth, that was the worst part. I had to take anitbiotics for a week, and they prescribed pain pills but I didn't use them much cause I wasnt in too big a pain. I was eating soft foods for 4 days or so and after a week I went back to the dentist for a follow up eval. They gave me the syringes to rinse the little holes out and I did that for two weeks. For me it wasn't very painful, it was just annoying bleeding into cotton balls for 5 hours and rining my mouth out since every little crumb seemed to find its way into the holes.

Seven days should be fine..... You probably won't be in pain, but you'll still be "flushing the craters" that are left over. I didn't use a syringe-- I opted instead for a WaterPik, which you can crank down to the lowest setting. Kinda gross procedure, but it works.

If I remember correctly, I didn't deal with any bleeding. The day after the surgery (day 2) was the worst in terms of pain, day 3 about the same, and then it got better pretty quickly. Get somebody to drive you home cause you'll be groggy the rest of the day. I too had an IV (Demerol....sp?) and it knocked me out within a minute. Good luck, don't sweat it too much, and enjoy your vacation!

Latest resources

Back