How is this not a accident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hotwings402 said:
A major repair is defined in FAR 43 and it is required to be accomplished by a IA and the appropriate 337's done.

The repair doesn't have to be accomplished by an IA. It doesn't have to be accomplished by an A&P mechanic either. An appropriately rated mechanic or repairman at a repair station may perform the necessary repairs. An IA may release the aircraft for service, or it may be a repair station, manufacturer, etc. See the blocks on a FAA Form 337 for details.

Sure, just not getting over technical the definition still stands as far as a accident is concerned. If you want to get technical you don't have to be a mechanic to pull a cylinder just be supervised by a AP.

You don't have to be supervised to remove anything, but you do to install and return to service. Its all in the regs. I know its nit pickey stuff, but thats what the federalies feast on and bust you on. Ninety per cent of A&P stuff is CYA, the other 10% is doing your job.

I've removed aircraft that were disabled on runways without asking for permission from the FAA, as long as you have the property owners and aircraft owners permission to do so. Thats if there is no bodily injury. Once some one gets hurt, it a whole new ballgame. NTSB 830 has the precedent when it comes to accidents, thats according to my PMI at the FSDO.

You cannot remove a "accident" aircraft unless 1) the NTSB has investigated 2) if you have to move it IE runway etc, it has been sketched, photographed measured, distances have been taken etc" Thats all in 830 that you just cited. The point I am making is NORMALLY gearups are incidents but in this case because of the vintage it caused substantial damage.

A mooney gears up just scratches the belly up no spar damage etc

Incident not reportable

A mooney gears up then skids into a vasi bending the spar.

Accident-reportable non movable till the NTSB says so or unless you can't wait has been properly surveyed.

I'm not sure what maintenance regs have to do with this. :)

Latest resources

Back