How is life at Champion lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IHateMgmt

I was thinking about applying to Champion, but wanted to hear from current pilots how life is. How long it takes to hold lines, how's reserve, how long does it take to get based in MSP, how long do you sit as FE, morale, what's the word on the airbuses, etc?

Thanks in advance

(sorry about the double post, I guess you don't double-click the "post thread" button)

Last edited:
i have heard people ther hate it. Though i havent heard it directly from one of their pilots. I flew with a capt who has a friend that works there. But you know how that is. Hopefully you can get a true first hand account. I saw that no one replied so I thoguht i would give it a shot with what i know.

good luck

How good could it possibly be? It has inseverable ties to Northwest. I believe that it is written in NW's mission statement that all employees will be miserable regardless of their worth.

You can apply to Champion, but as of lately they only hire about 12 people once a year. 50% have B727 FE prior experience. Classes run Oct & Nov the DO & the CP are nice guys but it still appears somebody with a red tail still controls the shots behind the scenes. 0 growth, no new planes till at least 2007 contract is being negoiated but it will be at least 2 years till we get a new contract. The pilots main gripe is no minimum day pay and rescheduling without overtime pay. Other then that a great bunch of people flying the line. Pay is low. But besides low moral it is like any other bottom feeder 121 airline. If it wasn't for a schedule and jumpseats on other airlines it would be just like flying 135. You would start as a flight engineer and by the time you upgrade you will lose your scan and it is a tough upgrade to FO if you ae not current. Managment does not want you fly for hire on the side. Being an FE is a dinosaur job and does nothing to make you marketable even Fedex couldn't care less about your FE time. If you are a commuter pilot or flying 135 stay there because at 400 hours per year of flying you would neet to be a CA for 7 years to make captain and get your pic jet time. Just my personal opinion. Net Jets is more appealing and a few people are starting to look there. The word on the line is that turnover will be high this year about 6 Captains are posed to leave for other airlines and some Fo's and Fe's to netjets this is just a rumor on the line. But rumors were abound last year about the turn over and it all became true. Two things are guareented at Champion if you screw a Champion flight attendant or are planing on leaving every body knows about it. Seems like telephone, telegraph, tell your buddies. Telling your buddies speads the word much faster than the telegraph. By the way managment couldn't care less if you do leave. Over all the company is what it is. worst than most FAR 121 jobs but better than most 135 jobs. Pay is about the same as flying an RJ for the Regionals.

n5374f said:
You can apply to Champion, but as of lately they only hire about 12 people once a year. 50% have B727 FE prior experience. Classes run Oct & Nov the DO & the CP are nice guys but it still appears somebody with a red tail still controls the shots behind the scenes. 0 growth, no new planes till at least 2007 contract is being negoiated but it will be at least 2 years till we get a new contract. The pilots main gripe is no minimum day pay and rescheduling without overtime pay. Other then that a great bunch of people flying the line. Pay is low. But besides low moral it is like any other bottom feeder 121 airline. If it wasn't for a schedule and jumpseats on other airlines it would be just like flying 135. You would start as a flight engineer and by the time you upgrade you will lose your scan and it is a tough upgrade to FO if you ae not current. Managment does not want you fly for hire on the side. Being an FE is a dinosaur job and does nothing to make you marketable even Fedex couldn't care less about your FE time. If you are a commuter pilot or flying 135 stay there because at 400 hours per year of flying you would neet to be a CA for 7 years to make captain and get your pic jet time. Just my personal opinion. Net Jets is more appealing and a few people are starting to look there. The word on the line is that turnover will be high this year about 6 Captains are posed to leave for other airlines and some Fo's and Fe's to netjets this is just a rumor on the line. But rumors were abound last year about the turn over and it all became true. Two things are guareented at Champion if you screw a Champion flight attendant or are planing on leaving every body knows about it. Seems like telephone, telegraph, tell your buddies. Telling your buddies speads the word much faster than the telegraph. By the way managment couldn't care less if you do leave. Over all the company is what it is. worst than most FAR 121 jobs but better than most 135 jobs. Pay is about the same as flying an RJ for the Regionals.
Thanks for the info n5374f. Much appreciated.

Latest resources

Back